Join now - be part of our community!

dolby vision

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
stewartgordon4

dolby vision

just uploaded software update m43.r.0175 for ubp-x700 on the sony site it says support for dolby vision for blu-ray discs and netflix i tried a dolby vision programe lost in space but no dolby vision just h d r i know this program is in dolby vision i get it on my tv kd65-zd9 in dolby vision i have not tried a blu-ray disc yet

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
stewartgordon4

i went into the settings of the ubp-x700 and found that you have to switch on the dolby vision before you can veiw dolby vision content also if you switch on dolby vision you lose 3d capibility

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Stewart,

Thanks for your feedback.

I have had a look here on the download page of the firmware update you mention and indeed it states: 

• Supporting Dolby Vision content for Blu-ray Disc, Netflix and VUDU

It would be interesting to see if other people have had the same experience as you. 

Best, 

Arthur

profile.country.GB.title
stewartgordon4

i went into the settings of the ubp-x700 and found that you have to switch on the dolby vision before you can veiw dolby vision content also if you switch on dolby vision you lose 3d capibility
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to hear you already found it, thanks for sharing!

profile.country.GB.title
GreenAndroid2000

FAO Sony team,

Currently to watch Dolby Vision content the setting must be activated in the setup menu.  But this switches off 3D playback and (I understand) sends non Dolby Vision media to your tv as Dolby Vision!

So it seems the best way to watch DV content is to only switch it on when appropriate, and off again for non DV media.  While it's great to have Dolby Vision (my tv supports it) this isn't a very slick implemenation.  Will a future update fix this, so the player can auto-detect DV content and adjust itself accordingly?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@GreenAndroid2000 wrote:

FAO Sony team,

Currently to watch Dolby Vision content the setting must be activated in the setup menu.  But this switches off 3D playback and (I understand) sends non Dolby Vision media to your tv as Dolby Vision!

So it seems the best way to watch DV content is to only switch it on when appropriate, and off again for non DV media.  While it's great to have Dolby Vision (my tv supports it) this isn't a very slick implemenation.  Will a future update fix this, so the player can auto-detect DV content and adjust itself accordingly?

Thanks

Glad you poated that. Sony doing something half arssed again

Will wait till the Panasonic 820 gets the DV update.

profile.country.GB.title
jwm007

What is even worse is that in the uk you have no idea from the disc cover whether it contains the Dolby Vision layer. In the US its clearly marked on the back cover but not on the UK version. Take "Black Panther" or "Gladiator" as examples both are clearly marked Dolby Vision in the US but nothing on the UK cover. Are we  being short changed by these uhd discs which are simply HDR 10 copies? I wonder if LG customers are required to know that a film has been recorded in Dolby Vision. Sony's deployment of Dolby Vision is so poor.