Join now - be part of our community!

DVD Recorder HXD995 has lost its prog guide !

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
davsmith3551
Visitor

DVD Recorder HXD995 has lost its prog guide !

My DVD Recorder, HXD995  has developed a fault with the Guide.  It does not display the prog guide and therefore I cannot record TV progs anymore. The TV and TVs own prog guide works fine so the Aerial in/ Aerial out to TV is not the prob.  It seems the HDD Tuner is not storing the data !!

I have checked the leads...all was OK previously and recoreded OK up to last week..  I have a fair amount stored on the HDD (70%full) and have tried most things.  The manual does not cover this prob so can I try to RESET THE RECORDER to factory settings as suggested.  Will this erase any progs  stored on HDD ?

Any other suggestions ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MPM-64
New

What worked for me was to disconnect the recorder from the aerial, then search for channels (via 'System' menu), which should of course result in 'zero' channels being found, then reconnect the aerial and repeat the search.   The EPG then worked, but initially it was slightly different in format to that which I'd been used to.
  I then switched off the recorder (using the remote), and back on again, to check all was still OK, and found that the EPG had changed back to its usual format, (i.e. prior to this problem), and all still worked just fine.
  (Note that I didn't update the firmware to the latest version.)

It looks like there was a glitch with the update, (last Fri ?), and I assume that all Sony DVD recorders of this model range, located in the UK (or perhaps just part of it ?), have been affected ?

For reference...
  The initial symptom I had (with a Sony RDR-HXD 995) was that the recorder was in a continuous 'update' mode - I noted it Sat pm 20th July, but it could have started on Friday.
  Attempts to use the player, (i.e. switch it on or off) failed, but by pressing the appropriate button on the remote for a few seconds I could access the Title List (i.e. recorded programs on the HDD) and the System Menu, but prior to this 'repair' was displayed on the front of the player, for 10 seconds or so.  (On the TV it stated that HDD was being repaired - eeeek !)
  I could also view DVD's OK, but was unable to view any TV channels, and the EPG appeared momentarily, (for a couple of seconds), then disappeared, so not possible to record using the EPG in the usual way.  The EPG looked different too.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

What does it means that it doesn't display the programme guide? When you push the button, it does nothing at all or it shows the grid empty? I assume you are using the Digital EPG since the Guideplus one is not working anymore since more than one year...

In any case a factory reset doesn't erase the HDD content, you'll just loose any specific setting and timer you have changed (i.e. HDMI settings, language, channels,etc.).

ljm40os
Explorer

I have exactly the same problem with 2 DVD recorders, they were workng but now when you press the Guide button the EPG flshes up and then after a few seconds the screen goes blank.

The System and Title buttons work, but now when you close those functions the TV does not go back to the TV channel but remain blank and you have to select the channel on the TV remote despite the recorder being sync'd with the telly. I have the one on a Sony TV and the other on a Samsung

Like the other person I have a lot stored on one of the recorder, not so much on the other, did restoring factory re-set help?

pewrigh38

a factory reset does not help, neither does updating the firmware at the moment

the workaround is to set the location to FRANCE or to BELGIUM

if stuck in update, use the power button trick on the recorder to get out of UPDATE mode, then set the machine to FRANCE etc
Deputy_Dog
Explorer

I have a similar if not the same problem. I have tried a reset and my firmware is 1.24 and it still has the problem. I first noticed it after a software update and believe that is the problem. It seems to download the channels ok but won't store them in the program guide. I also notcied for the few moments the guide stays on screen that the graphics colour of the guide seem slightly different to what I remember them as before. Also significate is that now when left for some time it still atempts a software update at the usual intervals yet once started it never ends and is frozen in an update. I can still manage to view my recorded programs but obviously cannot record any future one.

Would be nice to see if anyone manages to find a solution.

Could you tell me what is the Power button trick?

MPM-64
New

What worked for me was to disconnect the recorder from the aerial, then search for channels (via 'System' menu), which should of course result in 'zero' channels being found, then reconnect the aerial and repeat the search.   The EPG then worked, but initially it was slightly different in format to that which I'd been used to.
  I then switched off the recorder (using the remote), and back on again, to check all was still OK, and found that the EPG had changed back to its usual format, (i.e. prior to this problem), and all still worked just fine.
  (Note that I didn't update the firmware to the latest version.)

It looks like there was a glitch with the update, (last Fri ?), and I assume that all Sony DVD recorders of this model range, located in the UK (or perhaps just part of it ?), have been affected ?

For reference...
  The initial symptom I had (with a Sony RDR-HXD 995) was that the recorder was in a continuous 'update' mode - I noted it Sat pm 20th July, but it could have started on Friday.
  Attempts to use the player, (i.e. switch it on or off) failed, but by pressing the appropriate button on the remote for a few seconds I could access the Title List (i.e. recorded programs on the HDD) and the System Menu, but prior to this 'repair' was displayed on the front of the player, for 10 seconds or so.  (On the TV it stated that HDD was being repaired - eeeek !)
  I could also view DVD's OK, but was unable to view any TV channels, and the EPG appeared momentarily, (for a couple of seconds), then disappeared, so not possible to record using the EPG in the usual way.  The EPG looked different too.

pewrigh38

no update was sent out, its was currupt epg data on the pick tv epg from sky that was faulty, and was repaired on sunday

display on t/v screen  states. This function is not available now . Unable to set recording program.

Mazza-Y
New

Lost the Programme Guide for setting recorder & tried the remedy given by MPM-64. Very simple & it restored the Guide first time!   Thank You.

Merrylegs
New

Yes it worked for me too.  I had to go into Basic settings first and choose epg digital before following your instructions.  Thank you