Join now - be part of our community!

DVD Recorder RDR HXD890 losing all channels when turned off

SOLVED
ToniBolzona
Explorer

DVD Recorder RDR HXD890 losing all channels when turned off

Hi,

for the past few days our dvd has been losing all channels when switched off. The latest comments to a seemingly similar problem are from 2013 so I was wondering whether anyone knows of the current cause and, hopefully, also a solution to this.

Any tips will be welcome but I have tried the factory reset several times already with - you guessed it - absolutely no effect.

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Ok it's 1. 64 it's a different model hxd870. The right version for you is 1. 70. Look for it in the support sony site.

The two machine are rather similar, but the file for the firmware update it's different. Both 1.70 and 1.24 solve the DVBT tuning problem.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

In order for the recorder to manage correctly the digital channels the latest firmware (1.24) is needed: are you sure you have it on your machine? In this link you'll find the firmware and the instruction to check it http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-tvhc/sony-rdrhx-firmware-update-v124/RDR-HXD89...
ToniBolzona
Explorer

Thanks for the tip. You were right. When I checked, it had firm ware version 1.15 instead of 1.24 or higher. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I burned a new CD but when I put it in nothing happend. I then formated the disc to wipe everything and burned it again but still nothing happens.

For a few seconds DWLD appears on the display, followed by D---. That's it so I am still looking for a solution.

Once again, any tips and hints will be welcome.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Hi TonyBolzona, if I remember right (it's been a long time) there were problems when formatting CD using Windows 7 standard utilities; it worked for sure using Nero. If you don't succeed you may try to ask Sony support for a preloaded CD, at the time this was an option....
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Remember also to follow every step enlisted, especially: "Burn the update file onto a new blank CD-R disc or completely erased CD-RW disc using disc-at-once mode and ISO 9660 CD-ROM file system format. Important notes: Make sure that the disc session is closed / the disc is finalized. Make sure the disc creation was correctly done without any error. In case of doubt, recreate a new update disc. Burning the update disc using a packet writing software is not supported. (Packet writing is an optical disc recording technology used to allow writeable CD and DVD media to be used in a similar manner to a floppy disk). Do not create the update disc using another process than the one described above. " You may also want to check this thread (it refers to HXD870, but the procedure is the same) https://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-rdr-hxd870-dvd-hard-drive-unit.1227461/
Heskete
Explorer

Hi Glad you posted this as we have been having the same problem. There seems out be no pattern to it except it happens after the update that occurs daily. I've tried turning the updates off but the machine overrides me and updates and loses all channels. It's a real pain now as it can happen daily, twice daily or be fine for a day or two and then - here we go again ... Any ideas on solving the problem ?
Heskete
Explorer

thank you for posting this but I have no idea how to do this - shouldn't the machine update itself as Sony seems to send it an update at least twice a day and this is when my machine seems to lose its channels
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Sony doesn't post any update for those machine ota. The update you see in the dvbt channell syncronyzation that in your case reset the list. You have to manually update the firmware to version 1. 24 to solve the problem
Heskete
Explorer

Hi
When I looked to see what numbers the machine is on it said 1.64

I have no idea what this means
Do I need to change it to 1.24 ?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Ok it's 1. 64 it's a different model hxd870. The right version for you is 1. 70. Look for it in the support sony site.

The two machine are rather similar, but the file for the firmware update it's different. Both 1.70 and 1.24 solve the DVBT tuning problem.