Join now - be part of our community!

DVD Recorder RDR HXD890 losing all channels when turned off

SOLVED
ToniBolzona
Explorer

DVD Recorder RDR HXD890 losing all channels when turned off

Hi,

for the past few days our dvd has been losing all channels when switched off. The latest comments to a seemingly similar problem are from 2013 so I was wondering whether anyone knows of the current cause and, hopefully, also a solution to this.

Any tips will be welcome but I have tried the factory reset several times already with - you guessed it - absolutely no effect.

Many thanks

31 REPLIES 31
Heskete
Explorer

Thank you
Will do

Sent from my iPhone
ToniBolzona
Explorer

Just to wrap this up, the firmware update did solve the problem.

Points to make:

1. As one person mentioned, the standard Windows facilities for burning CDs (Windows Media Player, Windows Media Centre, Windows Explorer) do not produce the correct file and/ or file format
  2. I looked around a few review sites and finally decided on CDBurnerXP that came highly recommended (and is free!). It seems to be a nice programme and easy to use, even for a technophobe like myself
  3. With that the process reeled off just as described and within about 10 minutes we had the full functionality of our DVD back

A major point of criticism has to be directed at Sony in this case. Nowadays, we are being showered with useless messages, updates, newletters and the like. Surely, someone in the technical department must have noticed this flaw. With current technology it should be possible a) to notify users and b), more importantly, solve this issue without forcing customers to go through all this hassle so they can use their product to the full extent.

Heskete
Explorer

Agree with every word

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I'm happy in any case that both of you solved the issue, my biggest complain to Sony is that they don't manufacture any more such a good device! Nowdays PVR functionalities are embedded in any TV but there aren't all the features implemented in the HXD (autochaptering, advertising automatic detection, advanced editing, ability to export the recording - even if only via DVD just to mention a few).
krwizkid
New

Hi, I just noticed this recent thread as I've been having the same problem on the RDR HXD890 for the past few months.

Everytime an automatic channel update happens, all of the channels are lost and when I retune them and switch the machine off and on again, all of the channels are lost again (this also happens following the recording of a programme when the recorder swtiches off automatically, which also loses the channels).

I have tried factory resets, unplugging the machine and have also updated the firmware version to 1.24, but nothing works.  Sony has said this could be due to the aerial or digital signal but it has worked for years until the past few months.

Any ideas how to fix this?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Did you try the reset and unplugging AFTER the firmware upgrade? It should work...
krwizkid
New

Yes, I tried that at the time of installing v1.24, but I'm willing to give it another go to see if it resolves it!

Cheers,
Kev

(Sent from my iPhone)
Heskete
Explorer

Hi all I've tried the update thing and the factory reset thing I understand the firmware Is wrong but I have an iPad and no access to a CD burner I spoke to Sony today The chap on the help desk acknowledged that burning the disk was tricky even if I had a pic with a cd rewrite option. Sony are going to send me the disk and email the instructions Disk will be with me in 6-10 business days Will let you all know how I get on
krwizkid
New

I hope it works for you. I have the new version but the recorder still lost all of my channels overnight again, so short of taking the machine for servicing, I'm back to square 1

Kev

(Sent from my iPhone)
Heskete
Explorer

Very cheesed off now. 

Rang Sony, they sent me a disc. 

Followed the instructions which seems not to be read 

machine now worse than useless as it looses all channels if it gets turned off 

lost channels 3 times tonight when I tried to set it 

complaints dept next I reckon