Join now - be part of our community!

DVDs rejected as 'dirty'

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
zefiroGavin
Visitor

DVDs rejected as 'dirty'

My RDR-HXD710 recorder has been brilliant but recently has been reluctant to let me archive stuff from the hard drive to DVD.  I get a message 'Disc is dirty' and recording stops despite using new Sony discs just out of the wrapper.  This is happening more often than not so I am accumulating rejected discs - but when it does work the resulting disc plays fine.  Anyone got any ideas, please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
zefiroGavin
Visitor

Update on this problem: since buying a new pack of discs I haven't had a rcurrence of this problem. So either a glitch in the machine has cured itself, or more likely, Sony went through a bad patch in disc production which is hopefully now resolved.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
magpiesaint
Visitor

I have the same problem. Sometimes the brand new dvds are rejected then the next one is accepted as fine( all from the same spindle of new dvds). Any reason that anyone knows of?

zefiroGavin
Visitor

Update on this problem: since buying a new pack of discs I haven't had a rcurrence of this problem. So either a glitch in the machine has cured itself, or more likely, Sony went through a bad patch in disc production which is hopefully now resolved.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

If I may follow-up on this 'old' post other users may find this information helpful.

On the subject of dirty discs, disc read errors etc.., a while back I was experiencing similar issues with equipment from another manufacturer. I always handle my discs either by the centre hole or outer edges, I keep them clean at all times and never allow fingerprints onto the disc surface.

However, having started to experience issues with dirty disc/disc read errors I opened my DVD player only to discover that the centre spindle on which the DVD rests had a slight greasy smear on it. Presumably this had accumulated over many months of handling the discs by their centre hole and the grease was in fact transferred from my finger tips. This greasy layer was in fact causing the disc to 'slip' when rotated by the machine resulting in those error messages.

Solution? I wiped the centre spindle on which the DVD rests with a cotton bud moistened with Isopropyl Alcohol (CD/DVD Cleaner) and the problem was solved instantly. No more disc read errors or dirty disc alerts.

Conclusion: DON'T handle discs by their centre hole!! Always ALWAYS hold them by their outer edges only.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that info - very interesting.  I also normally handle my discs with a finger through the middle.  These days though, I play them on my PS3, so the slot loading its hard to do.  :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Quinnicus, you're very welcome! I struggled with that issue for months before deciding to lift the lid on my DVD player. Normally I would not do such a thing but as it was outside the manufacturing guarantee I decided to have a poke around. I'm sure glad I did and since discovering what had caused the problem I've also managed to rescue a couple of friends DVD/CD players which suffered the same fate. Interestingly some manufacturers recommend holding discs by their centre hole! Terrible advice if you ask me.

I laughed at your comment about slot loading discs as found on PS3's.., made me think of those devices for chopping the end off a cigar, ouch!! :anguished:

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14