Join now - be part of our community!

FREESAT+ On/Recording From Bravia TV Remote

Cybernaut2323
Explorer

FREESAT+ On/Recording From Bravia TV Remote

HI

I have puchased the SONY Bravia 49XD8305 LED TV and I also have a Humax FREESAT+ Recorder, SetTopBox (STB). I have successfully configured the SONY TV to access the Freesat guide from the STB such that when I press the Guide button on the SONY remote, the SONY Guide is populated with the EPG data from the Freesat box. 

However, I have the following questions I would like an answer to please - thank you in advance for any help you can offer...

1) when I turn the TV on using the TV remote control - the STB does not switch on.. consequently, with the TV configured to start on HDMI1 sees no signal... so the screen is blank and displays a connection error status message... this requires using the Freesat remote control to turn the STB on...

So, I would like the STB to turn on at the same time as the TV when I press the one button on the SONY remote control... (note : when I turn the TV 'off' using the SONY TV remote control - the FreeSat box does go into Standby mode,as expected.. )

2) when using the SONY 'Guide' feature - I can navigate the 8 day EPG supplied by the STB. I would like to be able to 'Series-Link' programmes from this guide AND also access recordings on the STB... I can see no way to do this - so for historical recordings etc. I have to use the STB remote control ... Obviously, I would like to be able to do all STB operations via the SONY TV remote alone - is this possible.?....

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

This answer is for both questions - In order to use a single remote with other devices, both devices must support the HDMI-CEC protocols.  Sony calls this Bravia Sync.  HDMI-CEC also allows 'Auto Devices OFF' upon turning the TV OFF and 'Auto TV ON' if the TV is off and you turn a connected device ON.  It will also allow you to turn devices ON via the TVs remote control.

Unfortunately the Humax Freesat boxes do not support the HDMI-CEC protocols, and hence you will not be able to use the TVs remote control to control the Humax Freesat box.  Even if it did, you would have to turn the Freesat box ON itself in order for the TV to auto switch on.  It does not work the other way round (i.e. Auto switch on device upon TV switch on).

In regards to using the TVs EPG that is 'populated with data from the Freesat box' - I am unsure on how you have done this or if you have got things confused, as it doesnt work that way - Although, happy to be corrected if I am wrong however.

Cheers

Cybernaut2323
Explorer

Well, I have tried what you suggested and sure enough... if I turn on STB as suggested - the TV recognises the fact and  turns itslef on too... so this is a half-way house in that I dont have to use two remotes to turn both devices on.

>> ...I am unsure on how you have done this or if you have got things confused, as it doesnt work that way

I returned the TV to the store yesterday on account of the fact that FreeSat is not supported by SONY products ( as covered in other threads on this site) . The only easy way around was for me to fork out for the STB... So I was only getting prog. information if I selected the channel to view - whereupoon it would show the prog currently being aired and the prog name of that following it.. but there was NO other prg. guide data from that point onward... 

I can only assume it configured itself when I setup the IR blaster connection .... to allow the BRAVIA remote to work with the STB.

The SONY Guide is now FULLY populated and there is a label top right in the Guide view referencing 'GRACENOTE'. So I have the Guide populated which was a big relief... but wonder why it didnt allow me to access the STB recording information. 

Also, the Red,Yellow,Blue buttons on the remote are the Favourites as I understand it... presumably they only permit storage of TV channels ...???? ..... or can I configure these buttons to access the FreeSat recording screen ...?