Join now - be part of our community!

hdmi control

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
jwm007

hdmi control

In June I purchased from a local retailer the Sony KD49XF9005U and the soundbar supposedly manufactured for this TV (HTXF9000). I added the sony Blu-ray player UBPX700B. I purchased 3 AudioQuest High Speed cables and  a Blekin cable recommended by Apple.. I added my Sky HD satellite box and my apple tv 4k. The apple tv 4k is on hdmi 2 and the blu-ray is on the soundbar. I use hdmi control to select sources so when I want to play a blu-ray disc I turn on the Blu-ray player and expect it to turn on the tv. Well that's how it works on my 2016 tv without a hitch. However what I am going through can only be described as hell. The Sky HD box[hdmi 1] does not appear on the Bravia sync list and when I turn on the box I get the apple tv. The retailer has turned off tv control on the Apple tv and quite often when I choose the apple tv from the input list I get nothing but a screen best described as snowy. I have to turn the tv off and then turn off the power to be able to use my Apple Tv. Sometimes the blu-ray player tray ejects and reloads while I'm watching tv or the apple tv. Sometimes I get no sound when I use YouTube or when I return to live tv. To rectify this I have to turn the tv off and therefore the sound bar and then turn it back on. I did not have a soundbar with my Sony 2016 tv and all seemed to work as I expected. The retailer intends to replace the tv and my cables this Saturday and I will wait to see the results. I should say he has already replaced the soundbar.  He has got it into his head that the problem lies with the Apple tv 4k which I doubt. It performed quite happily with my 2016 tv. I have never had LG or Samsung kit before being loyal to Sony but this is totally unacceptable. Has anyone had issues like this and if they have had how were they resolved?

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
jwm007

Hi Batee5,

Yes, you are correct although I have a issue which means that I have to hit
the power or tv button several times to get the tv running. When the tv is
up and running I have no problems with the remote. Since I received the
replacement tv all the HDMI control issues seem to have disappeared. Somehow
I get the impression that the retailer I purchased the kit from has very
little understanding of the tv and soundbar so next time it will a Sony
Centre.

I purchased 3 4k movies from Amazon last week and I have watched two of
them, Gladiator and The Martian. While it is true that the sound is good I
get no idea of spatial location. The Martian has an Atmos soundtrack but
there is no feeling of sound coming overhead or behind me. Is this because I
have no rear speakers? I am probably asking too much from a sub £500
soundbar. I have never had a home theatre audio system or soundbar so I am a
bit naïve as to what I expect.

Regards
profile.country.GB.title
jwm007

When I turned off HDMI control on the SKY box many of the issues I had were resolved. When it was on and I turned on the sky box it would go to the arc port or even eject the Blu-ray tray and then reload it. I thought I was going mad. None of this has happened since I turned it off.