Join now - be part of our community!

How do I get HT-AS5 Home Theatre system to show "Dolby Digital" icon on display ?

profile.country.en_GB.title
ROBMCN1
Visitor

How do I get HT-AS5 Home Theatre system to show "Dolby Digital" icon on display ?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum (and to 5.1 home theatre systems) - so my apologies in advance if my questions below are easy to answer.

I've just bought a HT-AS5 home theatre system, which I've connected to a Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray player that I already had, using a good quality (£40) HDMI lead.

The HT-AS5 instructions recommend setting the Blu-Ray audio setting to LPCM, which I've done.

My problem is that when playing a Blu-Ray disc (or a DVD) with Dolby Digital sound (and setting the sound to Dolby Digital 5.1 on the menu of the disc), I can't get the Dolby Digital icon to light on the display of the HT-AS5, so even though I'm getting sound through all of the speakers, I'm not sure if I'm actually getting full Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, as this is my first 5.1 home theatre system, so I've nothing to compare against.

Note: The "LPCM" and "HDMI" icons do light up on the HT-AS5 display..

I read in another forum that if you set the Samsung Blu-Ray player to LPCM audio setting, then the Dolby Digital icon won't light on the HT-AS5, so I tried the "Bitstream (audiophile)" setting on the Blu-Ray player. The "LPCM" icon goes out (as expected) but the Dolby Digital icon still doesn't light up. I noticed that the sound from the rear speakers does seem to be a bit louder using this setting.

So my questions are - am I getting the full Dolby Digital surround sound out of the HT-AS5, even without the "Dolby Digital" icon lighting up, and I'd also like to know what you have to do to get the "Dolby Digital" icon to light up (but I'm not too worried about this icon lighting up if I am actually getting Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound output).

I hope that someone can help................

Thanks iin advance,

Rob.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
dementedman
New

hi,although i don't have the same system,i do have a sony set up so hopefully this will help.basically when you set LPCM you are letting your bluray player decode the audio and send the decoded sound to your amp,if you select bitstream or auto the bluray player sends undecoded audio to the amp which then decodes it.this should give you dolby or dts audio,also my sony surround reciever has to be set to amp only in the menu not tv/amp,hope this helps,cheers,dementedman.

profile.country.en_GB.title
gofrost

Factory reset blu-ray player to defaults and put a disc in and see if dolby shows,my bdp-s580 has default settings and when i put a disc in the dolby shows when the film starts to play.