Join now - be part of our community!

HT-A700 soundbar does not support Hi-Res Audio or Atmos audio

profile.country.GB.title
broadpool
Explorer

HT-A700 soundbar does not support Hi-Res Audio or Atmos audio

I recently bought a Sony HT-A700 sound bar (with SA-RS5 and SA-SW3). It says it supports High-Resolution Audio, on the web page and there's a sticker on the device itself, and I thought it would support Atmos audio, but I can't get either to work. Has anyone else?

I've tried the recommended Amazon Music Unlimited and Tidal HiFi Plus. Both support Hi-Res and Atmos audio, but when I try to cast to the HT-A7000 they both report that the HT-A7000 doesn't support it. I can cast 360 spatial audio.

I wanted to contact Sony support, but went round in circles without finding a way. If anyone knows how to, I'd appreciate a nudge on that too.

Thanks.

Tags (3)
7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @broadpool  and welcome to the UK Community :slight_smile:

The support details are Here, although they don't work weekends 😞

Hopefully another member may be able to assist you in the meantime.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

In the mean time you may check if the devices you are using to cast the sound support ldac protocol for hi-res audio

https://www.sony.net/Products/LDAC/

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

What device are you using to cast to the A7000

profile.country.GB.title
broadpool
Explorer

Hi, thanks all for messages.

Thanks jumpsuit. My message was passed around support quite a bit until I got a reply, so sorry for delay. They replied that the HT-A7000 doesn't support Atmos audio, which is a bit surprising. They also say the Tidal App doesn't support casting hi-res audio. There's no explanation why Amazon Music won't cast hi-res audio to the HT-A7000.

Lord_viridis, I'm casting from a Sony Xperia 5. I checked the link rooobb posted and the model I have supports LDAC on the product info page, and hi-res audio, hi-res audio wireless and Atmos.

The phone can receive hi res audio (and Atmos) from amazon music, and the amazon app shows that it's streaming hi-res, but as soon as I try and cast, Amazon Music drops backs to low-res, saying the receiving device (HT-A7000) doesn't support it.

Any ideas how to get hi-res audio to work?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

a quick search on amazon music faq

"Which iOS devices support Amazon Music HD?
Most iPhones and iPads released since 2014 (devices with iOS 11 or later) can support HD/Ultra HD (up to 24bit, 48kHz) without any additional equipment. To play songs at higher sample rates (96 or 192 kHz), iPhone customers can connect an external DAC capable of supporting higher sample rates.
Apple AirPlay supports playback in HD quality.

Which Android devices support Amazon Music HD?
Most Android devices released since 2014 can support HD/Ultra HD playback (up to 48kHz). Make sure your device is running Android Lollipop or later._
Amazon Music HD is not currently supported on Google Cast"

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

@broadpool 

Are you using Google cast feature or Bluetooth connection?

Bluetooth from a compatible ldac supported device should connect in ldac hi res mode and plat in hi res atmos, the unfortunate thing is if using Google cast, it doesn't support hi res audio (even thought it's more than capable)

profile.country.GB.title
broadpool
Explorer

@Lord_viridis Google cast originally (because it does support 360 SA). I tested Bluetooth and it doesn't work with Atmos or 360 SA (from Amazon Music or Tidal) - no rear speaker output at all. Trying to change rear speaker volume in bluetooth mode on the HT-A7000 gives the message "cannot perform that operation at this time" - so it appears that regardless of the bluetooth device connected, no surround mode is supported via BT.

For non-surround audio via bluetooth, the only gauge on quality I can use is the ldac bitrate, which shows on the TV screen (the resolution and sampling frequency aren't shown). It appears adaptive from both Tidal and Amazon Music, most often 492 kbps. This appears to be between "normal" and "connection" ldac bit rates, and I couldn't immediately see a way to get that up. I don't know whether this counts as hi-res audio?

@rooobb I've found the Amazon Music faq unreliable. It says on the .co.uk site for example, that the Amazon Music app is available on Roku: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GQXHV23MTQRU92RR but it isn't available in the UK. It was Sony support who implied that the Amazon Music app should support hi-res audio.

As it stands, using a smartphone as an audio source, for stereo audio I'll have to connect via bluetooth for hi(gher)-res, unless a track is available in 360 SA, when I'll have to switch mode to Google Cast. There appears to be no support for Atmos audio.