Join now - be part of our community!

HT-RT5 low volume problems

profile.country.GB.title
Wizzie
Explorer

HT-RT5 low volume problems

Recently purchased, when connected via either optical or hdmi arc, the volume is just too low even when at max. Latest firmware applied. Volume via Bluetooth is fine and when at max is significantly higher than output via HDMI or optical. Any tips on how to resolve? I see a couple of other threads reporting the same problem, typically in the US. This unit was a UK one.

33 REPLIES 33
profile.country.GB.title
Captainoats81

Sounds like you are having the same problem as me although only the Sky HD box has low volume. Everything else is nice and loud. It's definitely my sound bar as through a home cinema amp setup it is nice and loud. I'm waiting for Sony to get back in touch with me but been 2 days so far with no feedback yet!
profile.country.GB.title
Wizzie
Explorer

My problem exists on both SKY+HD and LG bluray player. Would be great if you could share the response from Sony when you eventually get one. Strange it is fine on Bluetooth but lacks any grunt with the other inputs. Surely a firmware update required?

profile.country.GB.title
Captainoats81

Sony support asked me to perform a reset & other checks but still not very loud through sky. Even connecting to the tv and then playing through the sound bar it isn't loud when turning to max. Real shame!  They have scalar ex to their senior support guys.

if I was you I would phone them and log a call as well as from their impression they hadn't heard of this issue before!

they said that blu Ray sound would be better, which is obvious, but that doesn't explain why sky HD is louder rough the TV speakers than the soundbar so shot that logic down. I know when the soundbar is on max for a blu Ray it's stupidly loud but turning the sky volume up is loud but not loud enough you can't talk to someone 

Rannochuk
Explorer

Same problem here. I asked Sony on Twitter but they keep pointing me to customer support. When will this issue be resolved? Surely a firmware update can sort this. I'll give a two weeks then return the unit to Amazon.

profile.country.GB.title
Captainoats81

What problems are you having?  Low volume on Sky+ only?  Have you tried E4 or Film4HD?

Mine is fine now that I understand why it happens.

Rannochuk
Explorer

It's from my laptop, card is a GTX 980m HDMI into the HT5 then through to my projector. If I use the laptop spdif to optical, the sound is twice as loud. Through the HDMI connection it's not that loud. There's a thread on the USA forum about HDMI low volume. 

profile.country.GB.title
Wizzie
Explorer

Can you wxplain more, what do you mean by 'now I understand why it happens' I still have no idea how to fix this problem . Still waiting for Sony to respond to me.

my low volume is for any source via HDMI or optical 

Rannochuk
Explorer

There is no fix, maybe a firmware update will help in the future but who knows. The reviews on Amazon are starting to appear with other people with this same problem. After reading the recent review on What-Hifi I contacted Amazon for a return.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

Can you please ensure 'Night' mode is switched OFF?  

_20160206_101609.JPG

Cheers