Join now - be part of our community!

HT-RT5 low volume problems

profile.country.GB.title
Wizzie
Explorer

HT-RT5 low volume problems

Recently purchased, when connected via either optical or hdmi arc, the volume is just too low even when at max. Latest firmware applied. Volume via Bluetooth is fine and when at max is significantly higher than output via HDMI or optical. Any tips on how to resolve? I see a couple of other threads reporting the same problem, typically in the US. This unit was a UK one.

33 REPLIES 33
AndrewCarpenter
Explorer

I use charter cable. I am having same issue. I even returned system and got another one.  

sjared10
Explorer

Im having the same problem with  HT-NT3 low volume levels.I started a thread but no responce

profile.country.GB.title
Captainoats81

I would strongly suggest you phone Sony technical support about the issues.  Is it only through Sky that you are having this problem?  Have you listened to different channels, e.g. BBC1 HD and then E4 HD or 5HD as they are are louder than BBC1 HD.

profile.country.GB.title
Wizzie
Explorer

Folks 

As per first post, issue is with sky and blurray player. Also with inbuilt free sat receiver. Does not matter what channel.  The issue persists either via HDMI or optical. Burning a MP3 does not resolve the problem via the blurray player. Bluetooth nice and loud. 

profile.country.GB.title
Captainoats81

I would say that is something wrong with it as that is worse than what I've seen others type.  Would contact Sony direct or the company you purchased from if I was you.  Hope you get it sorted.

profile.country.GB.title
camelice
Explorer

I am having the same issues  mine only it was fine for a month or two now I have to have it on full volume and even then its just ok ....

I contacted Sony told them everthing , they told me to update the firmware which i did back in December if that does not work take it to my Sony repair centre 24 miles away.

I think its totally wrong that a company like Sony can just not recognise the problem , I would be happy if they said " we are aware of the problem and are working on it ".

I think the bar is superb I just want it to work as it did or should ....

profile.country.GB.title
slickricklatham
Explorer

Sony what are you playing at. I've just bought one of these to go with my 8599 TV and the sound sucks when watching the TV. Why haven't you fixed this and why haven't you responded to anyone with this problem. Contact me asap to resolve this or the tv and soundbar go back as faulty and I'll go Samsung. 

profile.country.GB.title
Captainoats81

What problems are you having?

What are you watching?

Have you upgraded the firmware?

I think there is a direct connection menu for the Sony TV and soundbar to connect to each other and this may be causing the problems (check your TV manual on this).  

Give Sony tech support a call.

profile.country.GB.title
slickricklatham
Explorer

Take a look at everyone's description of the problem and come up with a solution, the problem is common to everyone watching TV and expecting to hear sound from their soundbar. Yes the firmware is up to date so far as to say I've been through the Rt5 menu and done and update... after 4 or 5 seconds it says you are already up to date. I have a 55xd8599 tv and the sony Rt5 sound bar/ sub/tweeters. The tv recieves it's TV signal through HDMI 2 input from a SKY+HD box with no issues. The Rt5 is connected to the tv via HDMI4 Arc connection on the TV and on the soundbar. The sound is incredible when playing music via bluetooth from a phone. Again perfect sound when playing music via Deezer or youtube app within the TV to the soundbar. However when selecting HDMI 2 (Skyplus) the sound is 1/3 volume when turned up to 100% on the TV and on the RT5. Also the same problem exists when playing movies (low quality) via Kodi app. I'm not a techy sound expert but from other forums around Europe and North America people with the same problem think the issue is a codec or something that process low quality sound that hasn't been recorded as 5.1 and converts it (increases the power) into something that is like 5.1 which allows it to come through and uses all the speakers at full volume. Some tv channels on sky only seem to make sound from the sub and the soundbar but not the side speakers. Right now I'm watching the foos at Glastonbury recoded on a HD channel and the side speakers are working. I believe this suggests that the audio on a hd sky channel is somehow stronger/powerful than say a non HD channel. This is a sony tv with a sony soundbar, other people with different tv brands don't seem to have the problem so maybe it's the tv firmware that needs an update so that when it knows it's playing music through the soundbar then it needs to automatically increase the output power. It seems like no coincidence that when you switch from tv speaker to sound system via the bravia sync option that they both produce about the same level of sound. The deezer and youtube tv app seem to be able to recognise that they are connected to the soundbar and output via the arc connection an appropriate amount of power. The TV would apear not to be able to do this. With regard to the direct connection you mention my tv manual makes no reference to this. There is a secure connection button on the back of the tweeters and sub but I've not used it yet. Please help, I've just spent £1500 on a TV and sound setup and I don't feel I should have to ring sony support on a premium rate number to speak to someone who is less qualified than me to try and work out the problem using a flow diagram on a laptop. Surely there is enough info there to work out what's going on. Please help many thanks Richard.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @slickricklatham

I have escalated your post to Sony support - I agree something needs to be done to get this fixed or at least get the ball rolling....

Cheers