Explorer

HT-ST5000 Parts Unavailable

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Tomohawk 

A warranty is merely the period in which a retailer or manufacturer agrees to replace or repair an item without quibble. Your consumer rights, and the retailer and manufacturer’s duty to provide satisfactory good do not end there, but continue on, as enshrined in consumer law.

https://www.dfalaw.co.uk/faq_type/what-remedies-does-a-consumer-have-for-defective-goods/#:~:text=A%....

Note under ‘satisfactory quality’ the comment about durability, which this soundbar has not exhibited.

Note further the remedy of damages.

But who did you buy it from? As, technically, you need to seek redress from them, and not from Sony.

But in the first place, go back to Sony and remind them of their continuing obligations under consumer law, and suggest that they replace the soundbar with whatever today’s equivalent is, as it will almost certainly be cheaper. The faulty one first went on sale at £1500, well above the £1000 you mention.

At the very least, you are entitled to £600, from the rule of thumb that an item like this should reasonably have a six year life.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.IE.title
Tomohawk
Explorer

I purchased a Sony HT-ST5000 soundbar 2.5 years ago. It will not power on now with the message push, power, protect being displayed. I have taken it to a Sony authorised repair centre and they said the amp mount PCB needs to be replaced (part no.  A-2167-159-A ). They then said that Sony no longer make the part. This is ridiculous for a unit that was only discontinued fairly recently.

I contacted Sony customer service who confirmed this is the case. I was told that as it was out of warranty, there is nothing they can offer. I was effectively told to throw it away and jog on. So £1000 for 2.5 years use! I'll never touch a Sony product again

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Tomohawk 

A warranty is merely the period in which a retailer or manufacturer agrees to replace or repair an item without quibble. Your consumer rights, and the retailer and manufacturer’s duty to provide satisfactory good do not end there, but continue on, as enshrined in consumer law.

https://www.dfalaw.co.uk/faq_type/what-remedies-does-a-consumer-have-for-defective-goods/#:~:text=A%....

Note under ‘satisfactory quality’ the comment about durability, which this soundbar has not exhibited.

Note further the remedy of damages.

But who did you buy it from? As, technically, you need to seek redress from them, and not from Sony.

But in the first place, go back to Sony and remind them of their continuing obligations under consumer law, and suggest that they replace the soundbar with whatever today’s equivalent is, as it will almost certainly be cheaper. The faulty one first went on sale at £1500, well above the £1000 you mention.

At the very least, you are entitled to £600, from the rule of thumb that an item like this should reasonably have a six year life.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.IE.title
Tomohawk
Explorer

@royabrown2 Thank you for the advice. The product was bought at John Lewis. I contacted them and they were far more helpful than Sony. John Lewis agreed that I had a legitimate claim. I have agreed to a partial refund with the retailer.