Join now - be part of our community!

I have a sony svr-hdt500 that all of sudden will not switch on,the front panel light initially flashes slowly then speeds up.I have tried a reset,fault is still there,front panel light just keeps flashing,the only way to stop it is to disconnect the power supply.All that comes up on tv screen is high definition hard disc recorder.Also just out of warranty 13 months old,not what you expect from a sony product.

Explorer

I have a sony svr-hdt500 that all of sudden will not switch on,the front panel light initially flashes slowly then speeds up.I have tried a reset,fault is still there,front panel light just keeps flashing,the only way to stop it is to disconnect the power supply.All that comes up on tv screen is high definition hard disc recorder.Also just out of warranty 13 months old,not what you expect from a sony product.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Try disconnecting the HDMI cable from the TV and HDT500, then reconnect it back, but try connecting it to a different port on the TV (if possible).  Also, switch the box off from the wall for about 1 minute.

When you said you have tried a reset - are you meaning that little reset button behind the USB flap, that you have to use a pen to press?

Cheers

PS - For future reference, you may want to post this message under the TV section and not under House Rules.. :slight_smile:

Explorer

Sorry new to the forum,will post in the correct section.I have tried your suggestions and still the same,and yes tried the reset button on the front.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I really hate to say this - you have done the normal fault checking (ie replace HDMI cable, press reset button for 5to10 seconds, switch power off) - its looking to be like a hardware fault. 

Unfortunately you will probably need to get this checked out by an authorised Sony Repair Centre.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/repair/asc

Explorer

Thanks for your replies,i was hoping it was going to be simple quick fix,so is probably going to be expensive,will have to look at the sale of goods act,a disc recorder this young should not fail.This is the first time i have had any issue with a sony product,been buying sony for many many years. Thanks again anyway.

Explorer

Contacted Sony,basically did not want to know,just directed me to repair dealer for repair 30 miles away.Got an independant report on the recorder done £40.Diagnosed a fault in the power supply pcb,cost to repair min £150 depending if any other fault is found when repairing.With this information took back to Argos to see what they could offer as suitable form of redress.Very pleasantly surprised they refunded the full amount £249.99.So a very big up to Argos Customer Services, i could not of asked for a better outcome.Only downside lost all recorded programmes,did not back up to external hard drive and Sony Customer Services complete joke.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for that reply.  As now have more of an idea on what to do when/if mine goes wrong.  Replace it.  Uneconomical to repair.  *****.

By the way, I would have made no difference if you had backed up your recordings to an external HDD.  As the recordings are encrypted and are tied to that particular machine only.  It would not even work on another of the exact same model (I know, I tried!)  Therefore the external HDD, is just to extend/add extra space.

Explorer

Thanks for that information,atleast i now know there was nothing i could of done to save recorded programmes.

profile.country.GB.title
m.clifton
New

I also have had this problem. Originally I put it down to cooling fan failure, which also took out the hard drive. (Note I replaced with a 2Tb unit which works perfectly). I have now found that updating the sofware - like with a badly performing PC - has got me to approximately 30 second start ups/shut downs. BUT do not use over the air update, this just says you have the latest version. Download from Sony site onto a USB stick (I also 'unzipped' the files onto the same stick). Then perform update via USB. Mine now works well.

Another recent problem has been losing all channels below 50, as well as all programmed record sessions. I think I've fixed this by disabling auto updates.