Join now - be part of our community!

Impending loss of Guide Plus+

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
sue1512
Visitor

Impending loss of Guide Plus+

I have a Sony HXD890 DVD recorder and last night saw a message on Guide Plus+ about the loss of service from the 1st of January. Apparently this affects 'older' DVD recorders, including the HXD890 and many similar models. It is not being carried any more by analog ITV.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I bought the set with the intention of using Guide Plus+, and there was never any indication that the service would not be continued. I live in an area where it is difficult to get permission for dishes. (Babergh Council are Rubbish). I can apparently use Freeview EPG, but this is not as user friendly as Guide+. What are Sony going to do to help owners of these sets. The sets have only been available since March 2008 so cannot be considered obsolete.

http://www.europe.guideplus.com/en/ASO_UK.html

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
miedwar14
Visitor

Hi Sue,

I am in the same boat... same model of PVR and same Guideplus+ problem.

I emailed Sony ... here is the question and reply from sony.

..........................................................................................................................................

QUESTION

hi, i have had problems with the guideplus+ settings in my RDR HXD890 PVR.
I now realise (via google) that the default host channel for this in the UK is ITV1 (analogue) but this has been turned off in my area. I have searched the net and found out that "BID TV" will still be hosting the EPG data. My problem is that I cant set this as the host channel due to my innability to set the "source" as "D.TV". I only have the options for "A.TV" or external receiver.
I would prefer to use Guideplus+ as my tv area has not switched to freeview yet and the digital EPG does not contain all my viewing channels.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Michael

..........................................................................................................................................

ANSWER

I am pleased to learn that you own a RDR-HXD890 but I am sorry to read of the issue that you have.

Having looked into this matter, I can confirm that the Guide Plus+ built into your model DVD recorder will no longer function on the analogue service after the 31st December 2010. However, you will be able to switch to the Freeview guide, 'Guide Digital' which is built in to your recorder.

It is not possible to update your Guide Plus+ EPG to continue using the guide as this is the old analogue Guide Plus+ System and Bid TV cannot be selected as the host channel. This feature is only available on products with the Digital Guide Plus+ system.

To switch to the Freeview guide, simple perform the following:
Press System Menu
Select Initial Setup
Select EPG type select and choose 'Guide Digital'.

I hope this information is of some assistance. Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely

George Newton
Customer Information Centre
SONY UNITED KINGDOM

......................................................................................................................................

So Sue, it looks like we will have to use the digital EPG and forget Guideplus+.

I have googled this problem extensively and there are many others who are complaining.

All the best,

Michael

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
josmith7863
Visitor

I have the same model as sue1512. The difference for me is that I have now lost my GuidePlus+ service and can find no information from Sony as to how to reconnect to the new channel on Freeview supplying it. BidTV is the new host channel, but how do I set it up? I don't appear to be able to select this as a host channel. Any info out there please?

Is there a firmware update on the way Sony?

sue1512
Visitor

We have also now lost most of Guide Plus and so have switched to EPG.It is a problem because we live in an area that doesn't pick up ITV, Channel 4 or 5 on digital freeview and so can't now set programmes to record on these channels.

AlbertRoss12
Visitor

Come on, Sony, we need a firmware upgrade for these HDD recorders to receive the GUIDE Plus data from the digital channel BidTV. Analogue ITV1 is no longer going to carry the GUIDE Plus data from 1st Jan 2011.

You have been shamed by being listed on this list of unsupported receivers:-

http://www.europe.guideplus.com/en/ASO_UK.html

We expect better from Sony.

miedwar14
Visitor

Hi Sue,

I am in the same boat... same model of PVR and same Guideplus+ problem.

I emailed Sony ... here is the question and reply from sony.

QUESTION

hi, i have had problems with the guideplus+ settings in my RDR HXD890 PVR.
I now realise (via google) that the default host channel for this in the UK is ITV1 (analogue) but this has been turned off in my area. I have searched the net and found out that "BID TV" will still be hosting the EPG data. My problem is that I cant set this as the host channel due to my innability to set the "source" as "D.TV". I only have the options for "A.TV" or external receiver.
I would prefer to use Guideplus+ as my tv area has not switched to freeview yet and the digital EPG does not contain all my viewing channels.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Michael

ANSWER

I am pleased to learn that you own a RDR-HXD890 but I am sorry to read of the issue that you have.

Having looked into this matter, I can confirm that the Guide Plus+ built into your model DVD recorder will no longer function on the analogue service after the 31st December 2010. However, you will be able to switch to the Freeview guide, 'Guide Digital' which is built in to your recorder.

It is not possible to update your Guide Plus+ EPG to continue using the guide as this is the old analogue Guide Plus+ System and Bid TV cannot be selected as the host channel. This feature is only available on products with the Digital Guide Plus+ system.

To switch to the Freeview guide, simple perform the following:
Press System Menu
Select Initial Setup
Select EPG type select and choose 'Guide Digital'.

I hope this information is of some assistance. Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely

George Newton
SONY UNITED KINGDOM

......................................................................................................................................

So Sue, it looks like we will have to use the digital EPG and forget Guideplus+.

I have googled this problem extensively and there are many others who are complaining.

All the best,

Michael

AlbertRoss12
Visitor

The problem with switching to the "guide digital" rather than "GUIDE Plus+" is that it is very crude and lacks search facility. The GUIDE Plus+ keeps the current channel viewable in the corner of the screen, the "guide digital" does not, etc etc. Come on Sony, release a software / firmware upgrade to allow us to switch the GUIDE Plus+ source over from the analogue to digital tuner. This unit was marketed with the digital √ tick logo. Mine still has the sticker on it! The GUIDE Plus set-up menu even has a section in it to change the source, so the job is half done already. Finish the job and make us happy!

josmith7863
Visitor

Just got my reply back from Sony 'Customer Services' too.

Dear Mr Smith

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

Unfortunately, Guide Plus + on the RDR-HXD models (analogue) will no longer work due to Gemstar switching this service off. Bid TV can only be set on the new range RDR-DC range of recorders which run on a digital Guide Plus + system.

I am sorry I cannot be of greater assistance on this occasion.

Yours sincerely

Sandip Singh
SONY UNITED KINGDOM

Nothing about a workaround or firmware update - just a tough luck for having a Sony 2 years old in effect.

This really isn't good enough from them.

AlbertRoss12
Visitor

Your letters of reply from Sony customer services are not really good enough, they just smack of "go away, tough luck". If they were to reply "We have had our engineers look at this problem and there is no way to route the digital information to the Guide Plus+ input without hardware modifications" then I would be satisfied. However, there is no suggestion that they have even looked at this problem.

In this age of fully programmable systems, I would say that there is every likelihood that this could be fixed with a software / firmware upgrade.

Bazza96
Visitor

Ouch! I'm in the same boat. Recorder not yet 2 years old, yet obsolete? Host channel disappeared about two weeks ago - thought recorder was dying... Also have an issue with digital program numbers all resetting to the same number? Everything now completely manual!

Do we have to buy a new one to get EPG back?

Catmambo
Contributor

To get the standard EPG back - Press System Menu, Select Initial Setup & select EPG type select and choose 'Guide Digital'.

thanks