Join now - be part of our community!

Iplayer doesn't work on my PS3 or BDP-S370

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
damndog
Visitor

Iplayer doesn't work on my PS3 or BDP-S370

For about the past 2 months BBC's Iplayer has steadfastly refused to work properly on my Sony devices (PS3 and BDP-S370) but has worked well enough on all others such as my PC or my son's Wii.

I have contacted the BBC on more than one occasion to try to find out what is wrong and they're now claiming that Sony is to blame.

The problem isn't the "insufficient memory" or whatever others were having, I simply don't get the usual click to play option. Iplayer loads fine and I can browse the content but can't watch it. I'd really like to get to the bottom of this as my blu-ray player is ideal for the Iplayer function as it is the only device I have which will allow me to watch in HD.

All my devices are connected to the Internet and are updated when necessary.

Can any one please help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
damndog
Visitor

Okay, I think I should at least reply to say I accidentally figured this out.

I had been configuring my Virgin Media/Netgear (vmdg280) router to make sure I had a decent security set up. As part of this I had turned on the router's pop up blocking option....seeing as pop ups can be quite nasty. Now, despite my pc web browsers ability to block pop ups themselves I assumed the router managed pop ups from specific sources or ports etc.

The fact that Iplayer stopped working didn't click with me because I rarely watch TV so the two things didn't seem connected logically in my mind. Weeks may have passed between making router alterations and watching something on Iplayer.

It was only after having to do some network maintenance and after a relaxing of security that I thought "I'll give Iplayer a try" and it worked. On both the PS3 and my blu ray player.

Still, I find it very strange that this only affected Sony devices but there you go.

So, I suppose if anyone else has had this very same problem, using that same router, then I reckon you could do worse than having a nose at your router security set up.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Catmambo
Contributor

PS3 and 370 are built on two entirely different platforms by two different groups. Are you able to try them on another internet connection? Or get it checked out by your local service centre as they will have an IP connection,

Strange your Wii is working - is it on the same connection? Have you tried changing the cables as well?

damndog
Visitor

Yes, the Wii is on the same internet connection. It is however wirelessly connected. Both my PS3 and BDP-S370 are on ethernet plugged directly into the router.

The cables are fine as all other functions are working faultlessly. For example, both PS3 and blu-ray work without problem when it comes to streaming media from my pc and all the other on demand/internet services (PSN,Qriocity, 4od, itv player 5od, youtube, eurosport etc) work without even a hiccup. I have relentless perfection and reliability with everything but Iplayer. It just has no click to play function. This is the reason why I initially contacted the BBC. It made more sense that the error was on their end but they claim not. (this claim comes after them first telling me how to resolve Iplayer issues on my pc despite me telling them my problem was with PS3 etc so how reliable they are is anyone's guess.)

My nearest service centre is actually quite far away so I am reluctant to travel there unless absolutely necessary and no I'm currently not able to connect to another internet connection.

Catmambo
Contributor

Very strange. Beyond doing a full reset on both devices, I'm not sure what to suggest. Assume they both have the latest firmware. Its possible they are both faulty, but I don't think so. Can you post some images of the screens you are seeing where the play button should be?

damndog
Visitor

Hi, thanks for taking the time to look into this for me.

I have 2 screenshots for you and I have labeled each one accordingly.

The play button is usually on the preview image of the selected programme and is usually accompanied by the text "click to play full screen." Or something to that effect.

Catmambo
Contributor

V strange - PS3 boards seem to suggest flushing the cache and cookies which seems to fix it. But Blu-ray Player has no ability to store cookies anyway.

No-one else has popped up on the boards with a similar issue so its far from common, you have done all the basic troubleshooting and clearly know what you are doing. The one other thing I think would be good is to try is do a full factory reset on the blu-ray and try it on another broadband connection. The Blu-ray player is a simpler device than PS3 and browser simply calls out to BBC and has iPlayer served to it.

Beyond that it would be get it looked at by the service centre as it should still be under warranty right?

Thanks

damndog
Visitor

Okay, thanks for your efforts. I'll try a factory reset and if I get no joy I'll wander off to a service centre.

I am sort of pleased that I've managed to acquire a one off problem that seems to have bamboozled people though. I feel unique now.

Again, thanks for your time and input.

damndog
Visitor

Okay, I think I should at least reply to say I accidentally figured this out.

I had been configuring my Virgin Media/Netgear (vmdg280) router to make sure I had a decent security set up. As part of this I had turned on the router's pop up blocking option....seeing as pop ups can be quite nasty. Now, despite my pc web browsers ability to block pop ups themselves I assumed the router managed pop ups from specific sources or ports etc.

The fact that Iplayer stopped working didn't click with me because I rarely watch TV so the two things didn't seem connected logically in my mind. Weeks may have passed between making router alterations and watching something on Iplayer.

It was only after having to do some network maintenance and after a relaxing of security that I thought "I'll give Iplayer a try" and it worked. On both the PS3 and my blu ray player.

Still, I find it very strange that this only affected Sony devices but there you go.

So, I suppose if anyone else has had this very same problem, using that same router, then I reckon you could do worse than having a nose at your router security set up.