Join now - be part of our community!

Noisy Sony BDP-S470 Blu-Ray player

Jonesy127
New

Noisy Sony BDP-S470 Blu-Ray player

I am finding that with my Sony BDP-S470 Blu-Ray player, some discs are very noisy to the point of being unwatchable.

At first I concluded only some Blu-Ray discs were a problem (as opposed to DVDs), but today I've noticed there can be problems with DVDs too.

This youtube clip demonstrates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQBnFNnPHLc

The Homeland series, for example, is very confusing. Of the 4 discs that make up the series, the first 3 weren't too bad, but the 4th is unbearably noisy (and I've used it in my video).

Thinking the disc was faulty, I asked a relative to try it in his player, and he says it's fine. Every time I play it in my BDP-S470, it's noisy.

The Aliens disc in the video is brand new, so unlikely to be scratched/warped, I'd hope.

The player is over 3 years old. Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Even my Sony BD-player has the same problem (DVD or BD is the same. All depends from disk to disk).

Quite all times and fortunately, the issue is only on Menus.

I don’t know if it’ll be useful, the substitution of the internal player’s anti-vibration mounts with new ones, BUT if available and low cost, AND not in assistance because the costs will be the same of a new reader!!!

If noises (vibration) are transmitted to the table for example, amplifying their "noisy effect", there are Anti vibration (Silicon Gel or other material) pads and mounts most of them self-adhesives to “fix” under the palyer. This could be even a solution, to reduce player noise.

Here some examples:

Silicone Gel Anti Vibration Mounts - Youtube

mikrokopter - anti vibration silicone self-adhesive  gel pad

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Strange. Either there is very low tolerance in that player between perfectly flat discs and ones that are not quite as level. There must be something physically different between those two discs as all other things would appear to be constant - i.e. player hasn't changed. 

As jan2011 mentions, this can happen in other dics drives also - I remember a iMac I had ages ago used to do this as well.

profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi Catmambo, hi Jonesy127.

Even mine BD-player is more than 3 years old, and has thousands of hours of “work”… (cartoons, cd, movies…)

The problem is with some optical supports (not CD) and mainly on menus (just when reader starts reading a disk)

But why menus? Is it a coincidence? No.

All commercial DVD-CD-BD  use the CLV technology.  Wikipedia  CLV. What does it mean?

That, when the “laser read head” starts reading (inner part of support, nearest centre) DVD or BD for example turns about 1600-1800rpm (velocity DVDx1). CD no, because start rotation is about 500rpm.

Then the rotation decrease and when the read head is about the end of disc (outer, most away from center) is about 600rpm. With Double layer supports, starts once more the same issue, when the “read head” goes from outer to inner position. If you remember that sometimes, at old DVD-players, movies freeze a while (about 1sec) and all times at the same position. It’s even write on notes, just take a look on commercial DVD keep case.

What do I want to say with all this?

That when DVD/BD “read head” starts reading, the disk rotates about 1700 round/minute. In that velocity even some mg of weight in more, makes the difference (stamps, colors “bas relief”, imperfections on support…).

Solutions:

- not use this DVD/BD anymore(????)

- buy the same DVD/BD again (expensive and most time without results)

- go to movie store and ask to replace it (if old is impossible, if new probably will be the same)

- buy a new BD/DVD reader (expensive)

- try to reduce noises if it’s possible.

Older BD/DVD/CD readers have all mechanisms and hardware with OLD technology. Additionally all “plastic(?)” materials, as mounts, aren’t elastic as new ones.

I’m sorry, but, can’t find another solution!!! :slight_frown:

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)