Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with iPlayer freezing on PS3 and BDV-E370 Bluray player

Problem with iPlayer freezing on PS3 and BDV-E370 Bluray player

Hi, I wonder if someone can help please?

I have used iPlayer regularly in the past and never had an issue but over the past 7-8 weeks I've been having a problem where the programme will pause as if it is buffering but it never continues playing.

On my PS3 I can sometimes back out of the programme and select resume and it will carry on playing for a short while then happen again. Other times the whole system becomes unresponsive and after a few seconds I hear 3 beeps and it restarts. I also use itv player, Netflix and NowTV on the system and have no trouble at all with them, just iPlayer and only recently.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling the iPlayer app. I've also cleared my history, cache, cookies. Every time the system reboots after freezing and beeping, I am asked to run a system check and have done this a few times with no joy. I have tried completely resetting my system and starting from scratch but it is still happening.

It's happening on various different programmes, at different points in the programme, at different times of the day. It happens with SD and HD streams. My broadband is quite steadily at 17Mbps and nothing else in the house is using the internet, it's connected by ethernet cable. I can watch programmes streaming with no problems on my laptop so don't think it's an issue with my internet speed. I've also recently been given an upgraded router from Sky and that hasn't resolved the problem.

I'm also having the same problem on my Bluray player where the programme will freeze after a short length of time but it causes the whole system to freeze the only way to get it working again is to unplug it.

Does anyone have any ideas as this is really starting to do my head in now! It happened 4 times just now while I was watching a 45 minute programme!

Thanks

Jamie

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

At this stage there are no mass reportings of iPlayer on Sony products (either on this forum, PS3 forum and other tech forums) - so we have to take this as an individual issue. 

On the face of things I would say its either an ISP or BBC issue..... The iPlayer on the PS3 and the Bluray player function quite differently on the back end of things and are actually different versions completely.

In regards to the BDV-E370 - give this ago:

• Ensure that you have the latest firmware installed
  • Perform a full factory reset of the unit.  This normally clears any issues completely.

On the PS3 - I note that you created a thread a couple of weeks ago and have not received any assistance.  Unfortunately I have no other advice for you, as you have done what I would have suggested.

For both devices:

• Since you said that you have updated your router and problem has not resolved, Im assuming it was the same on the old router too??
  • Have a check on the Sky forums to see if others are reporting random issues with iPlayer too - as it 'could' be a routing issue from Sky themselves.

Also if nothing works still - try bringing your PS3 (or bluray player) to someone elses house who has a different ISP altogether and test their.  Once upon a time, I had an issue with Lovefilm on the PS3.  Lovefilm blamed Sony, Sony blamed Lovefilm - It was my ISP (TalkTalk) fault - fixed about 10 months later mind you.

Hope this helps anyway

Cheers

Hi, thanks for your response.  I already tried a reset on the bluray player and the latest firmware is installed but sadly I still have a problem.

Yes, I was having the problem both with my old router and new one.

I've checked Sky forums and can't see any other people who have the same issue as me.

I guess the only thing left to try is to take my PS3 to a friends house and test it there.  Thanks for the advice 🐵