Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD870 stuck in UPDATE mode

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mrsoftee
Visitor

RDR-HXD870 stuck in UPDATE mode

My RDR HXD870 updates about 4 x per day which is normally fine but now it locks in to update which completely freezes the machine .  When this happens the only way to release it is to hold in the power button for 7secs. I have tried a hard reset and a firmware update...both failed to cure it. Any ideas anyone please.

149 REPLIES 149
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi All,

before posting any further comments please read this thread

***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

skippy3436
Explorer

Hi All

Just want to say thanks for all the info posted.  I have 2 of these hard drive recorders and both stuck in UPDATE mode since Friday 19th.  At least I now know not to condemn them to the scrap heap just yet even though its highly frustrating. I am from the Devon area using the Stockland Hill transmitter.

pewrigh38

no update or faulty update has taken place, the firmware on all your machines is the same now as it was on thursday last unless you have updated it with a disk

it now seems that corrupt data on the sky channels caused the problem, possibly a typo in that epg data (or missing character)

and as other machines like pioneer and vestel seem to have been similarly affected its more likely that its just the existing firmware could not handle the corrupt epg data causing our issues

maybe sony or pioneer will issue a fix, maybe they will learn something about how equipment should handle faulty or corrupt epg data , maybe they will blame the company responsible for sending out the sky epg for the sky freeview channels, who knows ?

I do not believe our boxes are faulty, and I also do not believe sony issued any updates on friday the 19th of july 2013 either, they are probably as surprised as we are so maybe they will ask pioneer for new firmware that can handle corrupt epg data better , we shall just have to wait and see

my advice to all is dont assume facts that may turn out to be fiction, lets wait and see what comes out of all this

jandude
New

Same 'update' problem here. Happened overnight (19-20 July).
My box is running software version 1.2. So pewrigh38 is right IMO: there is no software update magically coming over the airwaves and causing this. Roll on a weekday and a fix.
Thanks to the poster for the France temp fix: at least I can watch a DVD!
profile.country.en_GB.title
Technowizard1
Explorer

I have the same problem with this updating business. Stays on UPDATE, has to be switched off etc etc.There is absolutely no need to automatically update a freeview DVD recorder 4 times a day. With other manufacturers I will not name using EPG systems that now carry pop up ads it is always worth hanging on to older models like this one. If I was you I would forget the Freeview on your DVR altogether and just go for freesat. There are two scart sockets at the back of the Sony DVD recorder for connections to your TV and SAT receiver. Your TV if it's been bought in the last two years will have a Freeview tuner anyway built in. So get yourself a scart switching box. Take an output from the TV to your recorder via the box and Bob's your uncle the problem is resolved, and you can view the EPG on your Telly. Select L1 on your DVD recorder and select REC or timer and off you go. I have had various experiences with Sony over the last thirty years. I found them absolutely hopeless at cassette decks. I bought 4 in as many weeks and none of them worked. But for computers I found them ACE. I have a TR5 and it's still going strong! Their walkmans are brilliant too. As for the DVD recorders, you may find that it's more to do with the updates than with the actual DVD recorder. As for the EPG update software and all that, well, do you remember when we used to get programme listing from Cefax and Teletext? What was wrong with that? The problem is that manufacturers like Sony have got themselves mixed up with software which in truth they do not need and it's simply complicating matters for everyone. It's called loss of customer focus! The customer wants a DVD recorder that records progammes and that's that. The rest in my opinion is just mumbo jumbo. Happy viewing.

Dangerous_Dave_T
Explorer

I am a software manager by trade and I am accutely aware it is the software developer's job to anticipate different data formats that may cause their software to fail.It is not good enough to claim 'we weren't expecting that character in that field'. No other manufacturer seems to have experienced a problem with the EPG update. Therefore Sony has a duty to issue a firmware fix for the problem. They are not 'doing us a favour'.

mabrack79
Explorer

You are a genius.Thankyou,very much.:smileyhappy:

markpri
New

mine is doing this too..

Buspass1
New

sony still haven't called me.

profile.country.GB.title
davids.hendry

Yet another person who has the same problem. Tried to update firmware to 1.70 and step one which is supposed to take 2minutes took about 20 seconds. The disc slot opens and closes so quickly it is very difficult to remove the CD as instructed. It simply then powers off. Even if you do whisk the disk out it powers off.