Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD870 stuck in UPDATE mode

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mrsoftee
Visitor

RDR-HXD870 stuck in UPDATE mode

My RDR HXD870 updates about 4 x per day which is normally fine but now it locks in to update which completely freezes the machine .  When this happens the only way to release it is to hold in the power button for 7secs. I have tried a hard reset and a firmware update...both failed to cure it. Any ideas anyone please.

149 REPLIES 149
chkersh29
Explorer

Yes I did get it to finally go to Welcome screen and I did an easy reset and now I can't get any TV channels at all. can only see previous Hard Drive recordings. I am glad that i can rely on my other HDD recorder - Panasonic.

prmackman
Explorer

Thanks to pewrigh38, I am now able to get our player working with this temp fix, thank you.
pewrigh38

do easy setup and choose FRANCE or BELGIUM as the location and scan, and the channels will return

but no epg
profile.country.GB.title
stevied

Hi pewrigh38, I have just had a trawl through quite a few tech forums and no one but Sony and a few Panasonics have this problem. I may not be very tech savvy but what has Sky got to do with it? I don't have a Sky box or account or do they own freeview. This is a Sony problem just like it was last time and they seem to be dealing with it in the same way by ignoring all their customers. I notice that this morning the US Facebook page of Sony has removed all our comments. On the UK page they are all going to the TT races as that was the last post on there! Thanks for the info about using the TV sets built in freeview. As for scarts I had the devils own job trying to connect my Sony surround sound system to the DVD and TV and had to resort to old fashioned coaxial cables in the end and an HDMI cable for the sound. So much for easy link.

lorb007
Explorer

COME ON SONY SORT THIS OUT!

Burberries
Explorer

This seems to be a an epidemic - is there anyone out there with a HDX870 who isn't affected???? I've read most of the threads and my machine has all the clais symptoms  - stuck in 'update' mode - immediately switching back on  having held the off button down for sever seconds - what a pain.

Some people are talking about what  update they have on their machines (1.7 or 1.65???) - how do you tell?  I'm not at all techy 

pewrigh38

the freeview platform has several providers of channels, some like pick tv and challange tv (gold etc) are sent by sky. there are others like bt sport too, never mind bbc and itv

the point was that the epg has corrupt data, and it appears to be the sky EPG that has this corrupt data, and is freezing the recorder when it tries to interpret this data, so even if all the other providers data is perfect, the one flaw causes the system to fail

if you own a car, say a ford , you may put texaco petrol in it, or q8 , or shell, and the supplier of the petrol could cause your car to cough and splutter , so one bad batch will cause cars to misfire, and as ford do not supply your petrol they are not respoinsible for the problem, and may not even know about it until the reports come through

your sony recorder (and others like vestel and pioneer) are dependent on the good epg for them to work, not a corrupted epg. in this case this problem gives the errors we are reporting, and some blame sony, but sony havent done anything to cause this, but I do think they or pioneer need to issue a fix that allows the units to be used despite the corrupt data, seeing as it hasnt affected say panasonic or samsung recorders

if it had affected every recorder and every tv in the land, the outcry would have been massive and everybody would have known about it and blamed the new apprentice at the epg transmission centre for the c*** up !! LOL

jasothe55
Explorer

Morning Everyone

I have a RDR HXD995 and my Mum has the smaller hard drive version and we are both suffering the 'Stuck in Update' problem

I haven't tried the EPG to France fix but have tried all reset type fixes and nothing works

So please add ME TOO times 2 for us

J

profile.country.GB.title
stevied

While I am on here I would like to point out that I never switch my HDX870 off at the mains as if I do it wipes out all my recording settings. Does anyone else suffer from this? So therefore my machine never gets updated. I am sure it should retain it's memory when switched off. I only found out when returning from a holiday to find that all my  programmes hadn't been recorded.

pewrigh38

no, turning off the mains should have no effect whatsoever and mine are turned off overnight, every night , by mechanical clock timers, and have been for a few years now. all that happens is you miss the overnight epg updates