Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD890 - Freeview EPG Not working

profile.country.GB.title
brian_mk

RDR-HXD890 - Freeview EPG Not working

My RDR-HXD890 has been stuck displaying 'UPDATING' for at least 2 days.

All front panel buttons & remote have no effect.

After Power cycling, the machine returned to the same state.

After searching Internet forums, I found many posts from people with the same issue. Most were dated around 2019.

I tried most of the suggestions:-

A Soft Reset got the machine out of update mode but EPG no longer works and, following auto-tuning, all BBC channels are missing. All other Freeview channels were found.

A Factory Reset did not fix the problem.

The machine displays Software Version 115. I tried to initiate a manual firmware update but no updates were found.

Has there been a recent change with Freeview EPG such that it is no longer compatible with this machine?

83 REPLIES 83
profile.country.GB.title
890737va
Explorer

I have the same issue, plus cannot set any recorder timings (even manually) and all BBC channels will not display! 

profile.country.GB.title
No_Pic

Same here on a Sony RDR-HXD970.

This has happened in July 2013, twice in May 2014, and once in April 2018.

I had an acknowledgement in April 2018 from 'Digital UK' (now seemingly called 'Everyone TV') that it was "formatting errors, in part of the EPG data supplied by channels" which caused the issues with the Sony equipment.

Yesterday was a Freeview retune day in my area (Crystal Palace transmitter) which also saw the launch of several new channels and, almost certainly, the two will be linked.

I had to do a factory reset on my Sony to get control back again today and allow the channels to lock to each broadcast station. Will probably experience the same problem again when the 14:00 EPG update is broadcast today, if the past experiences are anything to go by.

profile.country.GB.title
PatJW1
Explorer

I have exactly the same problem. Started last night. Did a bit on System set up and eventually it was OK. Then this morning it was stuck on update again.  Have done the start button thing but still no EPG.  The best I can get is it briefly connects then goes black.  Can anyone help?

profile.country.GB.title
PatJW1
Explorer

How do I do a factory reset please?

profile.country.GB.title
PatJW1
Explorer

Just read your post and realised I can get ITV! Seems to be just BBC then.

profile.country.GB.title
paperchampion
Explorer

I have the same problem in terms of it being repeatedly stuck in update mode (Sony RDR-HXD970). I do remember it happening before and there are other older threads on the issue, but it seems it relies on an external fix rather than a reset or settings change on our machines to properly solve it.

I'm pleased there are others still using these trusty machines, I was half expecting to be the only one left!...

profile.country.GB.title
No_Pic

@PatJW1 wrote:

How do I do a factory reset please?

Read the manual for your specific model to find the correct button combo for a factory reset.

To break out of the 'update' cycle, I held power button down on the front panel until recorder went off, then immediately gave a short click on the power button. This cancelled the update and allowed the recorder to turn on. It might then be operable or it might drop into the 'Easy Setup' process.

Alternatively you could also try the 'Easy Setup' route through the on-screen menu. After a factory reset, my Sony dropped into the 'Easy Setup' routine when next switched on. Doing this wiped my timer settings but my recorded programmes remained.

If the pattern of behaviour is the same as past episodes though, the problem will return at the next EPG update (14:00 at time of writing) until the broadcast EPG errors are corrected.

Also worth checking the firmware version for each model affected as there have been past firmware fixes (for other EPG-related issues). 'Latest' firmware releases though do date from many years ago as the units affected are a bit long in the tooth now and receive no current support updates.

profile.country.GB.title
brian_mk

Perhaps we need to contact someone at Freeview to let them know there is an EPG compatibility issue introduced by recent updates.

Does anyone know who to contact?

BTW - As others have reported, I also have problems receiving BBC channels.

profile.country.GB.title
brian_mk

https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/who-to-contact-support

BTW - I am experiencing the problem on terrestrial Freeview.

Does anyone have the same problem with Freesat?