Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD890 - Stuck in Standby, wont turn on

profile.country.en_GB.title
Designer_avatar
Visitor

RDR-HXD890 - Stuck in Standby, wont turn on

Hi, I hope someone can help. I live in London and since the digital change over, the DVD recorder is stuck in standby and wont turn on. I have removed the power lead and restarted the machine, but I still cant get it to start. The clock on the front panel is on & dimmed and there is noise coming form the hard drive, it even seems to reset itself if I hold the start button down for more than five seconds. Please help!

Tags (3)
11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

pushing the start button alone doesn't reset it, try pushing together power-on and stop button.

Designer_avatar
Visitor

According to the manual, you can not reset the recorder by pressing the Power and Stop buttons simultaneously unless the power is on. The peoblem I have is I can't turn the power on, so therefore can not reset the recorder. Is there a way to reset it with the power off ?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You are right that the machine should be on to be reset, it was just a try ... I'm afraid you may have some hw problem.

Designer_avatar
Visitor

Thanks rooobb for your reply, it is very much appreciated. I think from what you have said I need to get the recorder to an approved repairer. Do you think this is the only option left to me?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I think so. You may find the service manual in the internet, but given that you don't get even an error in the front panel (i.e. E01 meaning an HDD failure) I'm not sure what you can do about it. I've given a rapid read just to see if there is any hardware reset, but I didn't find it. You may try leaving unplugged for a long time in order to discharge the battery and have it reset, but I doubt it will solve anything. I'm sorry, that's all I can do, maybe someone from sony may have a better clue.

Designer_avatar
Visitor

rooobb, thanks for all your help. I shall seek out an approved repair centre and go from there.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

If you want to spend some more time have a look at the service manual....

Designer_avatar
Visitor

Hi Rob,

After a week I have plugged the recorder back in and it will start, but only get as far as the welcome being displayed in the LCD. Also the reset sequence is still not working. Can you think of anything else to try or does taking it to a repair centre still stand?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Just one more (maybe stupid) question: are you sure you don't have any problem in the connection or the cable with the tv? Is it connected via HDMI or SCART? Try to switch from the one you are using, change the cable or use a different socket. It seems very strange to me that the recorder starts without any error in the front panel but you get only a blank screen...although it's true that you should be able to reset it even without seeing anything :slight_frown: