Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD995 incompatble disc error with no disc inserted

kp4321
Explorer

RDR-HXD995 incompatble disc error with no disc inserted

Since about a week ago, on switching on my DVD/HDD recorder it tries to load a disc and displays the error "incompatible or unreadable disc" although I am 99% sure there is no disc inserted.  On pressing the Open button, it immediately displays Close & nothing happens.  Maybe an update error?

I was able to use the HDD as normal, apart from the annoying the error message.  Despite Disc Setup & Initial Setup being unavailable in the System Menu, I stupidly tried a reset - the error is still there but now I can't even set the clock let alone the timer.

Any ideas other than buying a new machine??

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Do you get any error message in the front panel? It seems like an hw error. What do you mean by not having Disk Setup & initial setup available in the system menu, are they greyed?

kp4321
Explorer

The front panel mostly displays "Load" but "Can't use" when the on screen error message is shown.  Yes, the setup options are greyed, except very briefly during the Load/Can't use loop - I can just about select it in that moment & see the next screen before it disappears.

I've just found your May 2012 post re forced ejection of the DVD - is that my best bet?
Thanks.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

you mean by forcing the eject via inserting a stiff wire? it could be worth trying since the service manual says it could solve such problem. Be aware that you do this at your own risk since opening the case should be done by authorized personnel only and you can be folgorated. In any case I'm attaching the relevant page of the service manual that can help in the operation.

PS: the manual is related to HXDx70 series, I expect the HXDx90 series to be very similar

kp4321
Explorer

Thanks, I know someone who can help with that.

But before I try it, is there any other way to fix this problem?

kp4321
Explorer

I decided to try the forced eject - I was right, there was no disc in it.  I inserted a DVD, closed the drive & connected it all back up.  But unfortunately it hasn't cured the problem.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

May be it's stupid: is it possible that you activated the Child lock functionalities?

In case just push the stop button on the deck: if it is activated you will see "unlocked" in the front panel, otherwise you'll see "Locked", just do it again to unlock.

Below the relevant section of the manual

To lock the recorder (Child Lock)

You can lock all of the buttons on the

recorder so that the settings are not cancelled

by mistake.

When the recorder is turned off, hold down

x

on the recorder until “LOCKED” appears in

the front panel display. The recorder does not

work except for timer recordings while the

Child Lock is set.

To unlock the recorder, hold down

x on the

recorder until “UNLOCKED” appears in the

front panel display.

kp4321
Explorer

Sadly that didn't work but thanks anyway, it's always worth trying the simple things.  I'm going to try the eject again with a different DVD, just in case.

I can still watch the programs I recorded but had hoped to keep some of them - do you know how I can copy them from the hard drive, maybe directly to my PC via a USB cable?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I'm sorry it didn't work (does it means that when you pushed the stop button it said "Locked"?).

Unforunately, the only way to copy file is via DVD, if you cannot use it, there is no way to copy them.

kp4321
Explorer

Thanks. Yes, when I pressed Stop "locked" was displayed, and "unleocked" when I pressed it again.