Join now - be part of our community!

RDR.. Issues (May 2014) - MASTER THREAD

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
rdr-hxd995_owner

RDR.. Issues (May 2014) - MASTER THREAD

Friday 23rd May approx 19:00 attempted to turn on DVD recorder RDR-HXD995. Seemed reluctant to power on from remote (and when pressing power on on unit itself) as in UPDATE mode. Finally after switching power off at the wall a few times, managed to get it to respond. However when a channel is selected, it displays for a short while and then the screen goes blank. Also, a programme which was set to record, has not recorded.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem - is this July all over again or is it just me?

Any help/advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

181 REPLIES 181
Pricey1960
Explorer

This is reminiscent of the problem we had a year ago (or two?)  It's remarkably similar (if my memory serves me right) - and no less frustrating. 

Some folks got VERY worked up about it as I recall.  However, at the time, by way of trying to set some perspective, my wife pointed out that on this forum that, as frustrating as it was, no-one had died and perhaps we could all manage - and she got banned from the forum!!  No explanation, she just got a message next time she tried to log on, saying she was no longer allowed to access the site!  So, I won't be doing anything like that, as much as I think she was at least due some explanation as to why she'd been banned! :thinking:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rdr-hxd995_owner 

At this moment, I have esalated the thread AND have contacted a couple of my contacts within Sony - But like everyone else, they do have a personal life too.  So I am waiting for feedback.

At this stage, there is very little I can do to assist further.  Its just a waiting game now - and a little patience from you guys/gals.

If you remember last years incident, it actually wasnt Sony's fault, but hopefully they can assist.

Cheers

Pricey1960
Explorer

Yup, as I recall, it was the EPG software update that had screwed a load of Sony products.  It made national news(!)  I've tried last year's work around and it has kind of worked for me too.

profile.country.GB.title
rdr-hxd995_owner

Sorry I didn't mean to sound impatient. If there is no news from Sony then would it be helpful to suggest Mr Onion's workaround.

I found Mr_Onion's suggestion to retune and select France works in that the channels are available. However, my guide still appears blank which will probably prevent/hinder any recording this bank holiday weekend.

Although I accept your point that if this is the same problem as last July, the cause of the problem wasn't Sony's, I would have hoped that given that experience and the impact to their customers, Sony could have made their software more resilient to dodgy data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rdr-hxd995_owner 

Don't worry about it - you didnt sound impatient to me :slight_smile:

Probably my language that I used, thats all and was just trying to keeps things in perspective.

Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE :

Hi All

Just had confirmation that Sony is directly aware of this issue now.  The ball is rolling...........

Thanks all.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

As @Mr_Onion has posted, as well as "captainpacific" on the AV Forums has stated, that a Temporary work around is by going to the Tuner Setup and Replace Channels.  When asked about which Country, select "France" and continue on with the re-tune.

That should assist until a fix is in place.

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
trott3r
Explorer

Looks exactly like the problem that we had last year with the cyan epg.

I guess tuesday is the earliest we can expect a fix?

ServiceMatters
Explorer

Same problem as other have reported, now just waiting for a checked update to arrive the same way the faulty update arrived.

Shame because SONY quality and functionality are special, should not be let down by avoidable incidents like this and last year. 

Deputy_Dog
Explorer

Same issue here as well, but like last time I'm actually relieved to find that the problem is likely a temporary one and that the recorder is still fine. The last time it happened I was afraid I lost it and initially looked at similar products to buy and found that they were either not capable of all the functions of my Sony RDR-HXD995 (namely able to record to a DVD) or very expensive or both.

Thankfully Sony provide a forum for us to report and resolve these issues and in all honesty there aren't many devices that aren't susceptible to software glitches that require regular updating. Thanks to this forum and its members a temporary work-around is available.