Join now - be part of our community!

Recording from SKY+

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Khr1st0pherL
Visitor

Recording from SKY+

Can I record from SKY+ direct to a Sony HDD DVD recorder?  I know  I can use the copy function once saved on the SKY HDD,but that locks up the system until the recording is finished and the quality of the DVD copy is usually quite poor.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

I'd imagine it would be very tricky to legitimately break any of the content out of the Sky+ Box to be honest.

thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Catmambo
Contributor

I'd imagine it would be very tricky to legitimately break any of the content out of the Sky+ Box to be honest.

thanks

Khr1st0pherL
Visitor

I dont think I made myself clear!  What I meant was, can I record to the DVD recorder and/or the HDD in the Sony box using the copy function provided by SKY.  I am asking as the Sony HD-DVD recorder uses an HDMI cable to the Bravia which I have no experience of.

If i cannot copy to either/or, then I will not purchase a HD/Dvd recorder. 

hardeepr
Visitor

As long as the recorder you want to buy has a scart input - which they all do - then yes you can record directly to the recorder's HDD from a sky+ (or HD) box.

What I tend to do is to record to the HDD of my recorder at the highest pq I can then, (after a bit of editing,) dub to DVD later.

Khr1st0pherL
Visitor

Thanks "hardeepr", however, can I do the same thing using the copy function with say a Sony HDD/DVD recorder connected to my Bravia  using the HDMI cable instead of a scart?

I used to use the SKY copy (red button) that way but using the scart e.g old setup was:

SKY+ - scart to Bravia - Bravia via scart to old Daewoo DVD rcorder

Intended setup will be:

SKY+ - Scart to Bravia - Bravia via HDMI to new Sony HD/DVD combo.

WIll the copy work the same but to the HDD or DVDR over the HDMI?

Sorry to keep labouring the point, I dont think I made my question clear enough in the first place.

hardeepr
Visitor

Sadly no you can't - there aren't any recorders in the UK which record via their HDMI inputs AFAIK

What you will need to do is as follows:

Sky+ to Sony DVD/HD's scart 3.

Connect Sony's Scart 1 to the Bravia - this will allow you watch Sky on your Bravia and also record from it as well.

Finally recorder's HDMI to the Bravia which will allow to watch the HD/DVD. Selecting Line 3 should also give you an upscaled Sky+ picture on the HD/DVDs HDMI ouput - this may or may not look better depending on the relative scaling abilities of the Bravia and HD/DVD.