Join now - be part of our community!

Sky+HD with HDMI and Optical/Coax for Audio ?

tgossai
Explorer

Sky+HD with HDMI and Optical/Coax for Audio ?

Hi,

ive just bought the W905 TV with a DN1040 AV receiver, im trying to set up my Sky+HD box for Dolby D using either Coax or Optical (my Sky Box doesnt have the option to send Audio out of the HDMI)

ive tried both coax and optical connected and set up to the amp for the sat/catv input, but no matter what combination i try in the sttings/input section, i just cant seem to get Dolby D to come in to the amp from coax or optical from the sky box, i just get the standard Pro Logic.

setup like this Sky Box -> HDMI and coax/optical into amp -> HDMI in to TV - Amp set up to receive HDMI for SAT/CATV and Optical input set for digital input in input section (also tried coax in opt/cox input)

Sky Box set up for Optical Output to Dolby D

And i know Dolby D works from the sky box using optical cos i had it working on my previous AV amp.

And I know Dolby D works on the new 1040 amp cos i can play DVD with great Dolby D sound pumping from it, but Sky TV isnt, and its getting a bit frustrating now, any help woud be really apreacited, thanks

Tim

7 REPLIES 7
tgossai
Explorer

an update on this, ive taken out the HDMI cable in to the amp coming from Sky, leaving both the coax and optical in, set the inputs for Listen on DVD, changed input to DVD and both methods produce Dolby D sound.

something is worng with the way the Amp is configured when in SAT/CATV input, it shows the option to accept digital audio input, but doesnt seem to want to use them for sound.

How can it be over ridden ?   

tgossai
Explorer

spoke to Sony support, apparently this is a limitation of the product, so sadly, im going to have to change the amp for a yamaha 675 amp.

So, FYI for anyone else that has an old Sky+HD box, it doesnt accept two inputs for one channel, you'll need to either upgrade the Sky box or choose a different amp that allows for different inputs for audio and visual

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thank you for the update on that.  As that information may help others.

But before packing up the AMP:

Have you tried connecting the Skybox to the TV (video) and then the optical cable to the AMP (for audio) ?

Cheers

glowworm
Explorer

I've got my SKY HD Box on VIDEO 1 and the AMP picks up DOLBY D OK... I'll swop to CATV/SAT and see if it makes any difference tomorrow. 

glowworm
Explorer

You need to go to the INPUTS menu and you can configure the input ports to whatever device you want... OPT1 and OPT2 , and COAX inputs have default setups but can be changed I've discovered.

doedmon26
Explorer

I have a similar setup but using a yamaha AV amp ... Its all set to use optical input on the HD port I use to take the sky signal but if i feed both hdmi and optical  it defaults to hdmi ... I have a button on the yamaha remote that overrides this ... called aduio in... at either auto or hdmi, the audio come from hdmi but when set to optical it works a treat ...

Grunt69
New

I have finally figured out how to get my DN1040 to output Audio from my sky HD box via optical rather than HDMI so I can get Dolby digital, as my sky box is not updated yet to allow DD over HDMI.
Set Opt1 in settings for Sat Catv, then press INPUT MODE on remote which cycles through the audio inputs.