Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

profile.country.GB.title
JackBerryman

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

Hello all, i’ve Just bought and set up my new 1080 and it’s almost perfect except for one thing. For some reason whenever I switch inputs (I.e to Netflix or turn on the PlayStation) the input switches ok but then just after the home screen pops up. This is really annoying as it means I then need to press the home button on the amp remote and I can’t just use 1 remote to control everything. Searching the net shows other people have solved this by disabling HDMI CEC but I really don’t want to do this as it would still mean having to switch the inputs manually. 

Anybody have any ideas on how to solve this? many thanks in advance. 

188 REPLIES 188
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hello everyone,

Our technicians tried to reproduce the problem but unfortunately the symptom did not show-up.

But I have to say that they don't have all the equipment you're using - therefore it might be the reason that they cannot reproduce.

Therefore I would like to ask you to check at what minimum configuration the problem happens on your side.

Like: One source device connected to HDMI input of STR and one screen connected to HDMI and then increase the connections until the problem occurs.

After that please let us know which devices had been connected to the STR. If possible please also share a video that shows the manipulaitions you've done to the set-up.

Thanks a lot in advance
Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
mrkielbasa

As stated my 1080 turning itself and my TV back on again after shutting it down. I was home there a while ago and I unplugged any external devices (Sky+ Box/ Apple TV / Blueray Player) from the 1080 apart from my HDMI1 Out > Samsung TV. Turned on 1080 and TV came on , powered off 1080 and TV and both stayed off .  I plugged each external device in one by one and repeated and each time the 1080 + TV stayed off on power off. Now all devices are connected back into the 1080 and the unit is staying off , last night it was turning itself back on again ...........  maybe you should try and see if this resolves your issue ? Maybe the 1080 had been turning on by some phantom device or something?!

profile.country.GB.title
LtPidgeon

My problem seemed to start after there was a firmware update to my LG C7 tv. Would it be at all possible if there had been some corrupt data sent down the ARC of the tv to the HDMI A output of the 1080? My output B on my amp works perfectly with all the same devices and cabling in place, and it does not show the same symptoms of jumping to the Home input and powering on the TV.

There was another LG FW update yesterday which seems to overwrite the recent update. There is no mention of the previous update on the LG website and the FW version number is the same, only the date has been updated.

profile.country.GB.title
mrkielbasa

Would it be at all possible if there had been some corrupt data sent down the ARC of the tv to the HDMI A output of the 1080?

Did you try physcally turning off/on the power at the wall/plug by any chance and see if the problem persists ?

profile.country.GB.title
LtPidgeon

Yes, I have tried giving them all a full power off at the wall and it makes no difference.

profile.country.GB.title
mrkielbasa

Ok then maybe try removing everything and adding back one by one testing the power issue with each  individually ? I tried mine there again and it’s not powering back up again automagically!

profile.country.GB.title
mrkielbasa

Hmm it started happening again amp powered back up and tv but I noticed that this time my Apple TV 4k also turned on. I’m wondering now is it a funny HDMI cable plugged into Apple TV as I did change it recently. I’m going to leave it unplugged for a few days and see what happens. 

profile.country.GB.title
LtPidgeon

I went through my tv and amp settings again last night after the most recent FW update for the LG C7. One thing I changed was the quick start option that makes the tv start quicker from standby, so in effect it should be getting properly switched off now. I didn't change any other settings on the amp, and now it does not power up after being switched off. Whether this is to do with the TV power setting change, I don't know, but I will see how it goes over the next few days.

Regarding the problem I had with no video output from HDMI A on the amp, out of curiosity I changed the setting in the amp back to being HDMI A as the primary and changed the cable over. I couldn't believe it when it started working again and everything was as it should be. One thing I did notice in my Harmony remote was that there were a lot more options avaible against the AMP on the list in the remote, and a few of them were related to changing the HDMI output directly from the remote. Even the Sony remote for the amp doesn't have that so freely available and I am now wondering whether this was possibly activated in error and had switched the HDMI output to B. I have now moved any HDMI setting options to the bottom of the list in the AMP options on the Harmony so that they are out of reach for being activated accidentally.

profile.country.GB.title
clutchcable
Explorer

My Sony 1080 does the same had it 2 weeks it will show my PS4 for a few seconds then switch to the home screen.  My tv is a Samsung 55NU8000. 

Latest update is applied, I also find switching inputs slow.

profile.country.GB.title
Tarrier76

Thanks Peter.  It happens to me even if I only have one input device connected to the 1080 - be that Sky Q or a Sony Playstation 4, using ARC connection to TV from output A on the 1080.

I have to say, though, that the Home screen appearing is nothing in terms of annoyance compared to the auto-switch-on problem that has arisen over the last few weeks - it takes considerable effort to turn the amp + TV off, as the amp turns it all back on again within 5-10 seconds of turning it off.  Often waking up in the morning to find the 1080 has turned itself on, causing the TV to come on abd costing a lot in wasted electricity.