Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

profile.country.GB.title
JackBerryman

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

Hello all, i’ve Just bought and set up my new 1080 and it’s almost perfect except for one thing. For some reason whenever I switch inputs (I.e to Netflix or turn on the PlayStation) the input switches ok but then just after the home screen pops up. This is really annoying as it means I then need to press the home button on the amp remote and I can’t just use 1 remote to control everything. Searching the net shows other people have solved this by disabling HDMI CEC but I really don’t want to do this as it would still mean having to switch the inputs manually. 

Anybody have any ideas on how to solve this? many thanks in advance. 

188 REPLIES 188
profile.country.GB.title
RattusNorvegicus1

Did you return the amp?

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnoy
Explorer

Just purchased this amplifier this weekend and found this forum searching for a solution to the same issue.

I’d desperately like this behaviour fixed please, as with the use of my universal remote this menu is infuriating!

profile.country.GB.title
RattusNorvegicus1

I suggest emailing Sony Customer Support. Nobody on here can sort this issue out. 

I have returned mine and exchanged it for a Denon X3400H which doesn’t have a home screen unless you enter set up. 

This issue is a Sony issue and it needs a firmware update (and willingness from Sony) (and some bad reviews)  to fix it. 

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnoy
Explorer

Thank you, I think I will follow you and swap for the Denon then! (As I’m also having an issue with the amp and my PS4 pro not displaying picture)

Best wishes

profile.country.GB.title
windowsdan
New

This is a problem with the receiver that does not seem to have a solution!?

I have the arc port connected to my arc port on the TV and when HDMI control is turned on in the AV settings menu it means that any time I use a smart app on the TV and exit it, the AV unit returns to the input I want but fires up the AV home screen!!

Turning off HDMI control stops this behaviour but also stops arc from the TV so sounds from the TV apps do not pass back to the AV receiver! Useless .... desperately needs a software update to fix this issue!!

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnoy
Explorer

Yeah I found it too frustrating and the same problems as yourself. Like the person above I also switched to a Denon (the 2400) and it doesn’t have this issue. And it will also be getting AirPlay 2 in August!

It’s a shame as I have had better experiences with Sony stuff in the past, which is why I initially chose their more expensive bit of kit!

profile.country.GB.title
Tarrier76

Have tried a reset but still the same issue. All I have is a PS4 and Sky Q plugged into the STR-DN1080, which is linked to the TV through the ARC (so I can use Netflix etc on the TV and play the audio via the amp - we use that a lot).

This really shouldn’t happen.  Also issues with bluetooth and airplay availability, which I’ll add to another post - all issues seem to focus around input selection issues.

Any advice on the Home menu annoyance, or is the only way around it to stop using the STR-DN1080?

profile.country.GB.title
Tarrier76

Exactly, it should only appear if called by the user, else, trust the HDMI Control.

profile.country.GB.title
Tarrier76

My latest message to Sony support.  If no positive outcome in a week, I will be asking the vendor to accept a return and swap out for a Denon.

It is widely reported that the STR-DN1080 in Europe has an issue that forces the device to default to the Home menu instead of tuning to the desired input.  Turning off HDMI control stops the problem, but introduces other problems.  Basically, the Home menu is arrogant and assumes the user always wants to select the input this way.  It needs addressing.

Really, the Home menu should only appear if the Home button is pressed - else, you should assume that HDMI Control is correctly changing the inputs.

Related is the inability to use Bluetooth without selecting it through the arrogant Home menu.  It's unforgivable that, in my voice-controlled smart home, I still have to manually turn on the Amp and the TV in order to connect to and play music via bluetooth - when I shouldn't have to manually intervene at all.

Finally, not permitting Airplay to activate from stand-by mode is also naive and similarly requires manual interventions to be able to play music over Airplay.  Again, in a modern, connected smart home, manual intervention is a sin and also unnecessary.

I fear having to swap my STR-DN1080 for a Denon or any other supplier without these major issues.

elkana1
Explorer

SAME PROBLEM VERY ANNOYING !!!!

I AM GOING TO EXCHANGE IT TO DENON X3400 TOO 

SHAME ON YOU SONY ON THE SERVICE YOU GIVE !