Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

profile.country.GB.title
JackBerryman

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

Hello all, i’ve Just bought and set up my new 1080 and it’s almost perfect except for one thing. For some reason whenever I switch inputs (I.e to Netflix or turn on the PlayStation) the input switches ok but then just after the home screen pops up. This is really annoying as it means I then need to press the home button on the amp remote and I can’t just use 1 remote to control everything. Searching the net shows other people have solved this by disabling HDMI CEC but I really don’t want to do this as it would still mean having to switch the inputs manually. 

Anybody have any ideas on how to solve this? many thanks in advance. 

188 REPLIES 188
profile.country.GB.title
GreenAndroid2000

I don't use ARC, I use an optical cable from my tv to the amp.

I have a Sony X700 and a Sony PS4 Pro connected to this Sony receiver and am bewildered why the amp takes so long to show an image from either of them.  My tv usually shows the "no inputs available" message while the receiver chugs along before finally sending the picture to the tv.

I'm using 18Gbps HDMI cables for both.  It's not the end of the world, but I expect better than this from a flagship AV receiver.

Firmware update to address the problem please!

profile.country.IE.title
cornelius1

I have exactly the same problem.

I adition I sometimes cannot switch to another input using the remote.

Something is going on, on the receiver display- letters and numbers are running from left to right for a while

profile.country.GB.title
APS313
New

FIXED! I agree this is a very annoying problem and this is what brought me to this forum. I just got a new TV and decided to go with the DH590 model (it's all I need for my setup) and it does the same thing - defaults to Home screen after I start the TV, which was forcing me to use the Sony remote to make it go away. I fixed this by going into the custom settings for my Harmony Universal One remote. For the Watch TV activity I was able to go into the custom settings and create an additional startup command for the amp. I programmed it so when the TV starts, a "Home" command is sent to the amp after a 5-second delay. This gets rid of the Home screen and I don't have to touch the Sony remote. I hope this works for you as well.

profile.country.GB.title
Tarrier76

Thanks for posting your solution.  I haven’t used Harmony for years, and don’t really think the solution should be buy an £80 remote or a £100 hub to solve it!  That said, I had been considering the Logitech hub as an addition to Alexa, so I can voice-command Sky.  Maybe I’ll bite the bullet but I don’t think this is “solved” as it requires the purchasing of additional hardware, which shouldn’t be required.  I’m glad you resolved your issues tho.

profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

Agreed would be good if Sony would issue a new firmware update for this receiver that addressed this problem.

As usual no acknowledgement even of a problem as far as I can see here.

profile.country.GB.title
he_nd_ric

Same problem here. Connected to an LG OLED65B7D via HDMI-ARC. Considering to return the unit (Amazon, so no problems there). Will also post buyers feedback/review and rate accordingly.

profile.country.IE.title
cornelius1

Richer was asking me to send the Sony to them so they can check if there is really a problem with the receiver. Before returning, they told me that it's probably a HDMI cable issue and sent me a set of HDMI cables (nocharge). I am so tired and fed up wih the receiver,soI accepted. I reset the AVR to factory settings and it seemed to work with the new cables. Works with 'HDMI off', but when I set it to 'HDMI on' the sound of the TV aps doesn't go through the AVR (ARC). Another user has the same problem. Sony support is totally useless

profile.country.GB.title
GreenAndroid2000

I rarely get the Home Screen "error", the main thing that bugs me is the time it takes for the receiver to change input, or recognise that there is an input.  Even with new cables, all of which are "up to 18gbps" and meet all the high speed requirements Sony recommend, I still occasionally get a screen of static snow where it's dropped the connection between it and the connected device.

Bizarrely this tends to be two other Sony devices!!  An X700 UHD blu-ray player and a PlayStation 4 Pro.  It's really not good enough that Sony devices are losing connection to each other.  The workaround is simply to change inputs and back again, but on an award winning amp, I shouldn't have to do this.

Sony; can we please have a firmware update to address these issues.  Pretending it isn't happening isn't going to make it go away!

profile.country.IE.title
cornelius1

Got the same problem.
profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

Yes another with the same issue - so another call for Sony to actually talk to it's customers......  Great that this amp can be firmware updated - and since this sounds like a simple logic issue fixable by an update, doing so would help us all!