Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

profile.country.GB.title
JackBerryman

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

Hello all, i’ve Just bought and set up my new 1080 and it’s almost perfect except for one thing. For some reason whenever I switch inputs (I.e to Netflix or turn on the PlayStation) the input switches ok but then just after the home screen pops up. This is really annoying as it means I then need to press the home button on the amp remote and I can’t just use 1 remote to control everything. Searching the net shows other people have solved this by disabling HDMI CEC but I really don’t want to do this as it would still mean having to switch the inputs manually. 

Anybody have any ideas on how to solve this? many thanks in advance. 

188 REPLIES 188
profile.country.GB.title
mrkielbasa

Same problem here and I am using a Samsung 4K TV and latest 1080 firmware, only happens when powering up all devices first time  and pressing the sky button a few times in succession (few seconds apart) seems to abort the annoying Home menu from loading! 

profile.country.GB.title
BombPAC

A Samsung TV... that’s interesting. Mine is an LG TV. Still think it’s not the AV receiver, Sony? Surely you can’t blame all TV brands except yours for the problem?

profile.country.GB.title
mrkielbasa

@BombPAC wrote:

A Samsung TV... that’s interesting. Mine is an LG TV. Still think it’s not the AV receiver, Sony? Surely you can’t blame all TV brands except yours for the problem?

Of course its the AV receiver. I am saying it IS happening with my setup.

profile.country.GB.title
BombPAC

Yes, sorry, my comment was aimed at Sony. I was trying to be sarcastic :slight_smile:

What I was trying to say was that if you have a Samsung TV and I have an LG, then it builds a case for it being the 1080 and not the TV's, which Sony are blaming for the problem. It would be interesting to know if anyone else on this thread has other TV brands too...

profile.country.GB.title
mrkielbasa

Lol ok yeah I was wondering :grin:

I dont know if its my imagination but I think this issue has crept into the reciever maybe from a previous firmware update, i dont remember it being an issue when I first bought the 1080, or at least , I dont remember it being so persistent i.e at the moment if you power up and  loads the home menu and you click SAT/DVD option , it might give you your Sat signal for a few seconds and then still jumps back to the Sony home menu again so it can take a few goes....... at least that is what I am experiencing and it seems intermittent..

profile.country.IE.title
cornelius1

Hi,

I think it has gone worse since the latest firmware update. I had a similar problem with my first Sony 1080 AVR, but it was not that bad

profile.country.HK.title
Nottsdh
Explorer

Hi all. New user. Im having a different issie with my ampi have a sky q box ps4 x box and panny 4k player attacjes to my amp. After playing x box of i switch back to sky im getting no screen. So o have to power down my sky box to get it working again. Any ideas mods or fellow users. 

profile.country.GB.title
GreenAndroid2000

Do you have Sky Q, with UHD?  You might need to upgrade your HDMI cables.  There's a view tthat all HDMI cables are the same, but once you move to 4k/UHD it is well worth upgrading to cables that run at 18gbps.  This might help your problem.  I upgraded all of mine, I do occasionally find the tv shows a snowy static image, but a quick change of input sorts it out.

The amp does seem to take longer than it should to switch inputs and retain the "handshake" between two inputs.

profile.country.GB.title
BombPAC

I've given up on this. I can't return the amp, so I've decided to purchase an Apple TV box to do content streaming instead of using the smart TV apps over ARC (other streaming devices are obviously available, but as I have an iPhone and it supports Dolby Vision, it fits best for me).

I can now disable the dreaded HDMI-CEC implementation on all devices and use an optical cable for sound between the TV and 1080 if I do ever need to use the smart TV apps or watch Freeview.

It helps that I have a Harmony remote as I can control all devices from that instead of needing something like CEC in the first place, but if I had to, I'd rather use multiple remotes if it meant not having that annoying Home screen pop up each time!

profile.country.IE.title
cornelius1

Why do you need a work around and/or swithc the inputs ? The AVR should work without any work arounds, simply as it's supposed to work.