Join now - be part of our community!

Sony BDP S790 Blue Ray DVD YouTube player

profile.country.en_GB.title
geoffpettit
Explorer

Sony BDP S790 Blue Ray DVD YouTube player

Cannot get player to work on New YouTube for TV App

Purchased the BDP S790 Blue Ray DVD player as an upgrade to a previous BDP S380 as it upscaled to higher resolution and it gave me YouTube which I lost on the S380 a couple of years ago on Google/YouTube throw out.

I can access my full account through the Blue Ray player, see and search for videos and get the player screen but now pressing play has does not start the video and the screen remains blank.

Have YouTube yet again upgraded their player such that TV screens/DVD players are now not compatible or is it something Sony can fix before I have yet another obsolete 'smart' player in the space of 3 years.

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As far as I am aware there is no change in the YouTube service provided (i.e. not been discontinued).  First bit of advice is to factory reset the bluray player (i know its drastic action and it is a stab in the dark, but I have seen a factory reset work miracles).

If there is a problem with YouTube on these 2012 bluray players, I would expect some others would have posted or will post soon - but at this stage, I can only assume that its local to your player at this stage - although, it might not hurt to post on Googles YouTube forum - assuming the factory reset doesnt work - https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/youtube  (which I have done a quick search as well and cannot find any other related posts to yours)

Let me know how you get on after a factory reset.

Cheers

geoffpettit
Explorer

Hi thanks for quick response and Google search. Yes I did a factory reset yesterday and checked I had the latest firmware, unfortunately didn’t work. Also searched Google – there was some old posts about sound but no video but this is just a dead player. Will see if there is any others with same then perhaps post on YouTube forum Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also saw those old posts - but they were relating to a specific issue from a couple of years back which was resolved.

Do other network apps work OK on the player?  Just seeing if its a YouTube issue or a Network issue on the bluray player itself.

geoffpettit
Explorer

Hi, thanks for your continued support. All other Apps seem to work OK, Specifically:-

Sony Video unlimited

BBC i-player and Demand 5

Qello

SNAG Films

Sony Channel

DW etc...

All these Apps appear to have the same viewer on the BluRay...Usual progress bar with a round control icon on the left hand side.

YouTube viewer is different with a 'play', 'pause' etc button, centre bottom - this is the one that doesn't work when 'pressed.

Tried to access YouTube through the internet browser on the player but there was insufficient navigation to select and kept freezing.   Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

At least the other Apps are working - so its not an issue on your end.  If nothing has improved by Monday, I'll forward this thread onto Sony Support and see what they say.  Just want to give it a little more time - and they wouldnt pick this thread up until Monday anyhow.

If you can, please reply back Sunday afternoon and inform me of the progress

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue reported to Sony for investigation.

geoffpettit
Explorer

Hi Quinicus, Sony have sent an email stating there has been a reply. None of the hyperlinks work on the email and going onto the private notes on the community area states 'an unexpected error has occured'. Likewise trying to send you a private mail I get the same message. Any idea on the solution and/or why I can't access these notes. Geoff

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @geoffpettit

Can you clear browser cookies/cache - then close browser.  Re-open browser and re-log back in and see if that helps. 

Cheers

geoffpettit
Explorer

No, still the same