Join now - be part of our community!

Sony DAV-DZ260 not working with TV using scart or hdmi

SOLVED
Gadgetfriend
Explorer

Sony DAV-DZ260 not working with TV using scart or hdmi

After a house move 3 years ago, it's only just come back out of the box.

However this time round I can't get it to work with the TV (its the same one).  The only difference is Im not using a sky box but a free sat box........

I have tested the DVD with the sound system and works perfectly.  All i get when I change to TV on the system is a hissing noise coming from the centre speaker, and no sound from any of the other speakers or woofer.

What I've done:

Checked the wires on the speakers were inserted properly etc.

Tried using HDMI cable,

Tried using Coaxil cable 

Tried using Scart (current setup)

and read, and re-read the manual, but can't find the solution (having tried a few suggestions within the book).....

Don't think an optical cable will work, as I don't have that particular type of connection on my TV (6 yrs old).

Im not sure what I may have forgotten.......

Can anyone give me some tips please to get it working from the TV.  (TV is Philips and as i stated above, worked with this system before).

Thanks in advance 🙂 

Feel free to ask questions in case I've forgotten anything, cheers!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gadgetfriend
Explorer

And the solution has been found.  I did not require any of the above mentioned items except an extra scart lead.

I changed the scart lead from the Sony DAZ to the Humax Sat receiver.  Then from the Sat Receiver ran another scart lead to the TV.

Problem solved 🙂  Just needed some patience!!  Thanks for all the tips and ideas though:smileywink:

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Its hard to advise you without knowing (or in my case seeing) your exact setup, however sometimes devices do not support SCART IN-OUT (as in certain pins are missing or disabled), this may have been the case when using your previous Sky box (which may have supported it) and now the Freesat/TV that may not.

I also have to say that the suggestion below may not work, as ive never done it myself.  But have a look anyhow.

If you have analogue audio OUT (composite cable Red/White) on your TV or whatever (check that the ports are OUT though), you may want to purchase a converter (Analogue to Digital), such as this device:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro%C2%AE-Analogue-Digital-Converter-TOSlink/dp/B009K55TJI/

The device should allow you to utilise the optical cable port of the DAV system (note, you will need the cable too) Then when you want to output TV audio to the DAV system, you press function repeatedly until Audio comes up. 

Hope that helps

Gadgetfriend
Explorer

Hi - Thanks for your reply.  It certainly looks like it should work and I will check out with my local electrical outlet where I bought the system, if they think it will work too.  

I note though you say the ports have to be 'out' yet my TV shows 'Audio in'.... 

This is my TV: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=42PFP5332/10&scy=dk&slg=en

I have a Humax freesat+ box connected via HDMI.

What I don't understand is why it doesn't work now when it did before?  I know what your saying with the scart pins and all, but its plugged in: system to tv and not to do with Sat receiver....?? And I just tried a new scart lead out of the packaging, and still no difference.  

As I said, Ill go to the electrical store tomoro.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I simply do not know on the SCART issue im afraid, have you tried the other SCART port on the TV?. Also, before, did you have the DAV system directly connected to the TV, or was it connected through to the SKY box first?

See what your electrical store says tomorrow.  If you have no joy, try contacting Sony Support : HERE and see what they say.

All I know is, is that for Audio to return back through, the port needs to be SCART IN-OUT functions.  Looking at the design of your TV, everything on it is input, except the headphone jack.

I did find another cable to use in conjunction of that analogue audio to digital converter : HERE.  You would plug it into the headphone socket of your TV.  But to be honest, its a really "messy" work around.

On a side note, on the Humax Freesat box, is there are SCART port you can plug this DAV system into, and daisy chain it all.  As in : TV > HDMI > HUMAX > SCART > DAV SYSTEM as some humax freesat boxes have a SCART INPUT as well.

Cheers

Gadgetfriend
Explorer

Really appreciate your ideas and tips.  I did try the other Scart port but that resulted in no sound at all (no hissing noise either), which can be a good or a bad thing.....

As to the previous connection setup, I honestly can't remember (don't know what I did yesterday nevermind over 4 years ago!! Its been in a box that long).:smileyexclaim:  I would assume it was connected with Scart only as HDMI is only recent to me (2 yrs or so).

That messy workaround is something I'd rather avoid, and its bugging me that I can't figure out why it worked before and not now!!  However the Humax may be the reason and I have more free time tomoro to try and figure it out.

I may also try the chaining suggestion too before I head to the electrical outlet (unless of course with all the wires etc I have myself I may need to go sooner rather than later). :laughing:

Thanks again, and I'll post back here with an update tomorow!

Gadgetfriend
Explorer

And the solution has been found.  I did not require any of the above mentioned items except an extra scart lead.

I changed the scart lead from the Sony DAZ to the Humax Sat receiver.  Then from the Sat Receiver ran another scart lead to the TV.

Problem solved 🙂  Just needed some patience!!  Thanks for all the tips and ideas though:smileywink:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brilliant, I am glad everything is working for you again.

Gadgetfriend
Explorer

Thanks!! 

Typical though that the electrical store though I was doing everything right, and I bought the cable for the headphone jack to audio to see if that worked, but no, and now Im probably stuck with cable no 45 of my collection!! Haha.  But it did pay off having extra cables - I found an extra scart! Lol

Have a great day :slight_smile: