Join now - be part of our community!

Sony HT-RT3 Sub-Woofer Cooling Fan Noise

profile.country.GB.title
Bladevane

Sony HT-RT3 Sub-Woofer Cooling Fan Noise

There is an annoying whining noise coming from the sub-woofer whenever the unit is switched on. The fan speed increases when audio output from the TV is heard and during lulls in TV conversation the fan can clearly be heard spooling down as the speed decreases. I am on the second sub-woofer unit and Sony have ordered a third one as a replacement. To be honest I am not expecting this one to be much, if any, better than the first 2.

Clearly someone in the Sony organisation has missed the noisy fan issue or decided customers will have to put up with it.

The noise is distracting and totally unacceptable.

74 REPLIES 74
profile.country.GB.title
es0001
Explorer

Hi,

I recently purchased the HT RT 3 and find it extremely annoying the constant oscillating noise coming from the fan on the back of sub woofer. When listening to normal TV it is always audible. If the sound is very loud its not as audible but the second there is a drop in the sound you hear the fan spinning down and then back up again.What were sony thinking when they created this product?? It's beyond belief that they would think this is a good idea, I'm temped just to throw this product in the trash. I used to associate sony with quality products but sony have fallen well short on this one. I will be raising with sony support but not expecting anything to come of it.

Regards,

A disappointed customer

profile.country.GB.title
Bladevane

es0001 - Desperately sorry you have this problem but you are not alone. However please report through the relevant SONY channels and persist with the complaint otherwise SONY will not do anything about the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @es0001

I have escalated your complaint about this to Sony.  They should be contacting you back within the next day or two (ish).  Please let us know how you get on.

For @Bladevane  As you are already in contact with Sony, at the moment there is not much more I can do at this stage.  If you get stuck anytime, please post back and we will try and help you if we can.

Cheers

I have also purchased the Sony HT-RT3 last week and am experiencing the same problem. As previous people have said the whirring sound is really off putting and distracts from whatever you are watching especially in low level sound.

is there nothing that can be done? Do the next models up perform in the same way? although I don't think I would be able to afford these though.

can the product be returned? I purchased them from Currys 

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Ajlongfield

Sony is aware of the complaints of this issue on this product.  Unfortunately at this moment, the only thing I can advise is that if you are unhappy, seek a refund.  After all you are the paying customer.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Bladevane

I have just sent Sony an audio recording of the fan spooling down when mute is pressed on the remote. This is being escalated to the Technical team.

SteveBrailsford
Explorer

I am also experiancing the same noise - it is so distracting!

I searched the house to find out where this noise was coming from - It is not acceptable that this noise is heard on an audio device. I wouldn't accept it on an a PC !

When i reffered it to Sony Support they said they hadn't had any issues- it was only after i found this thread.

I'm emailing support this link

profile.country.GB.title
Bladevane

It is so unfortunate that you purchased before you had time to read this thread. I have no idea of how many people have decided not to buy this item on the strength of reading the reviews here but it must be hurting Sony. What we need is more complaints to Sony so that they take the problem seriously.

Auster52
Explorer

I have just set up my Sony sub-woofer this evening (20-01-17) and I'm horrified at the fan noise - spooling up and down every few seconds - I can't believe Sony have released this on to the market.

profile.country.GB.title
Bladevane

Auster52 - Oh dear. Another dissatisfied customer. Please raise a complaint to Sony. The more of us who complain - the more likely it is that Sony will do something.