Join now - be part of our community!

Sony HT-RT5 soundbar faults after M28.R.0534 firmware update

profile.country.GB.title
projecthunder
Explorer

Sony HT-RT5 soundbar faults after M28.R.0534 firmware update

Hello all,

Has anyone had problems after installing the 12/10/2021 firmware update M28.R.0534 on their Sony HT-RT5 soundbar? I have had zero issues with this soundbar previously for 7 years, other than it being slow and laggy.

Post update (which went through successfully) the soundbar will turn as normal with the TV, however as soon as you turn to another TV channel the sound will turn off, and the sound bar essentially freezes (you cannot turn the volume up/down or access the menu, essentially unresponsive) and the only solution is to turn off the power at the mains and turn on again.

The other issue I have is that I can only access the menu for between 10-15 seconds before it completely freezes, so I have to rapidly move through the menu options to get to anything. I cannot even reset the soudbar to factory settings due to it freezing. Occasionally sub-menus cannot be accessed and do not display the correct logo icons and just a piece of paper that has a cut through it on the bottom corner, so I cannot access any functionality within the menu let alone the reset option.

I am quite annoyed that out of warranty a software update has essentially destroyed the soundbar to the point it is unusable. I spoke to sony customer services, and whilst the chap was polite, the ultimate conclusion was to take it to a service centre and for me to pay out of pocket due to Sony's firmware update essentially bricking my soundbar.

Has anyone any experience of this, or anything similar? Is there a way to roll back to a previous firmware version? Any way to factory reset without having to go through the menu options?

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey projecthunder, I've checked the Manual for you and there is not option that allows you to reset the device without accessing the menu. What if you tried troubleshooting the TV? Is it also Sony? If yes add the model number please.