dieselakita
Explorer

SONY HTXF9000 Sound Bar connecting devices

Devices 

Sony HT XF9000 sound bar 

Sony 49XF9005 TV 

Sony PlayStation pro 

Nvidia shield 4k android box 

I'm thinking of getting the Sony XF9000 sound bar that goes with the tv when reading about the sound bar it says simply connect all your devices using the HDMI Arc port but looking at the setup guide for the sound bar it shows you how to connect the sound bar to the tv in the arc port and shows you how to connect 1 device then to the sound bar that's fine but how do I  connect my other devices through hdmi do I need a splitter to do that and what splitter do I get 

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @dieselakita

Your TV should have a number of HDMI inputs. Is there a reason why you can't use those?

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
dieselakita
Explorer

I've downloaded the manual for the Soundbar and what I can make out connecting using hdmi you connect the out port which is the arc on the Soundbar to the in arc port on the tv and then says connect Any devices to the HDMI port on the Soundbar but there's only 1 in port on the Soundbar and I've got 2 devices at present and I don't think you can set it up by connecting the devices straight to the tv and only connect tv to Soundbar through the arc port so I'm trying to find out if I can use a HDMI switch and connect the devices to the Soundbar that way and if I can use a HDMI switch what the specs it needs to get the correct formats for video and sound 

profile.country.GB.title
dieselakita
Explorer

UPDATE to this post setup the Soundbar TV hdmi arc port  to Soundbar hdmi arc port then PlayStation console hdmi port to Soundbar then android box connected to tv hdmi port the setup guide for the Soundbar tells you not to connect devices to tv they should be connected to Soundbar even shows you 2 diagrams right and wrong why but yet I actually get sound from the Soundbar when using the Android box does anyone know why the setup guide tells you  not connect devices to tv???

GollumTom
New

Hi

i recently purchased same soundbar and have same problem. i have pdp tv, computer, mxq pro 4k player, bluray player and upc cable receiver. So i had to decide which things i will use most and how to connect them. My PDP has 3 hdmi ports (only 1 with arc - audio return channel) but tv allow to pass media through. So:

1) i connected my MXQ Pro 4k player directly to Soundbar and Soundbar to Tv via HDMI TV Out port to HDMI 2 port in my TV - which has ARC and allow AV to be send to and from tv as well as to and from soundbar.

2) I connected PC to to hdmi 3 in pc so i can pass through signal to soundbar and hear sounds from PC games and movies via soundbar

3) i connected UPC cable receiver directly to 3rd hdmi port in my tv. im using WC often than watching tv, so i dont need special sound effects.

4) i left bluray unplugged till i find a solution how to connect 4th device with such configuaration. 

Conclusion.

1) my mxq pro 4k player allow to pass through all newest digital audio sources to soundbar including atmos and other 7.1 formats, so connecting it directly to soundbar is best solution. 

2) my pdp tv doesnt allow me to pass through newest digital audio formats so having things connected to TV instead of soundbar force me to hear sound in PCM format only. That means i cant play Dolby Atmos from PC unless i connect it directly to Soundbar and left MXQ Pro unplugged.

You dont have as old tv as i have so all you have to do is to check which ports support hdr and use them to connect PS4 or NvidiaShield, other 1 you can connect to soundbar directly, it will passthrough av signal to tv as long as you have SB and TV connected via hdmi arc ports.

But, going back to my configuration,  everything works fine except the fact that not with 100% potential. So im looking for an answer, will HDMI splitter with 2.0 compatibility work with XF9000 soundbar and allow to passthrough DolbyAtmos sounds from PC, MXQ 4k player directly to XF9000?

I know that buying new tv could be better solution but i just wonder if sony can confirm that hdmi splitters work fine with their products or at least wont harm devices. 

profile.country.GB.title
Lucychops
Explorer

I have the same tv and sound bar I have Sony blue ray to sb and all other devices to tv . sound bar to hdmi 3 arc , ports 2 and 3 support everything  1 and 4 don’t. sky to port 1 so will only support 2160 at 8 bit only but I had problems connecting sky on hdmi 2  where hdmi sometimes would not boot tv on leaving a blank screen.  I know this may not help u but a splitter may help but cannot advise u which one amazon sell a number of soloutions.  Just be aware these new TVs cause some issues concerning hdmi on in so much they kick everything on when firing up one device the boot everything else because of Bravia sync and setting controls for hdmi on.  Another issue with android boxes is the hdmi on most is not CEC certified and as such causes an issue after having it connected for a few months, causes the sound bar to lose its connection permanently so after some research, disconnect and do not use anymore. You also have to take all other hdmi connections out power off tv hold down power on tv with it unplugged for 20 secs to discharge and then reconnect all hdmi lead but not the android box . All should work well it may not cause you a problem but if the above happens to you then this is the reason for it. I think you can get Kodi etc on the apps from within the tv so u may not need the box, but still exploring this option. If this works it’s one less box / connection your going to need

cheers

profile.country.GB.title
dieselakita
Explorer

Thanks Lucychops for your advice and android box no issues at the minute but well worth knowing if I get that issue you mentioned I dont have sky myself but you said you had a problem connecting it to port 2  and you were using port 1  but have you tried connecting sky to the soundbar and connect blue ray player to port 2 on the tv  and even though ive never used it isnt the IR Blaster on the tv meant for the sky box its just a thought 

profile.country.GB.title
Lucychops
Explorer

Many thanks will try that to see if it behaves any better also yes blaster is for sky just didn’t fancy wires everywhere cheers

roll on new updates