Join now - be part of our community!

Sony HXD870 recorder will not work properly following Freeview Channel Change

profile.country.GB.title
Billiemill
New

Sony HXD870 recorder will not work properly following Freeview Channel Change

Help, my Sony HXD870 recorder will not work properly following the Freeview channel change. I retune it but the new channels are not there and when I turn it off and on again it needs completely retuned again as all the channels have disappeared. 

I deleted the junk, switched off, switched on, blank screen, no channels. Retuned, all deleted channels back. When I retune everything goes back the way it was before the freeview channel change e.g. BBC News is channel 130. When I try channel 231 I get a message this channel not in use. When I turn off and back on again blank screen, no channels, need to retune again. Have tried retune and easy set up with same result.
I am stumped.

41 REPLIES 41
profile.country.GB.title
cheamvillage
New

Interesting to hear this. My elderly mother in law also has a Sony recorder which stopped working around 3 August. We assumed it was time to replace it. She has now heard from a friend with the same Sony model and that also packed up last week. Friend has an engineer booked so I will update if I hear any more.

profile.country.GB.title
PRSCMS
Explorer

Mine had the same problem.

Try resetting like the problem in 2013.

On mine it's: (use front panel buttons, not r/c)

Switch on as normal.

Hold down the stop button and press the off button. Machine will switch off.

Switch back on and go through the initial set up, scanning etc.

You won't lose recordings on hard drive.

Worked for me, but then failed again, but reset again and now seems ok.

profile.country.GB.title
Qwertyuip

I am having the same problem with both of my dvd recorders a hdx-870 and hdx-995. Both stopped working around 1700 today. I have reset to factory settings to no avail.

hdx-870 has firmware version 1.62

hdx-995 has firmware version 1.15 ( very strange was version 1.62)

does anyone have any recommendations or solutions please

profile.country.GB.title
lithoartist

I can add to this thread: I have Sony RDR-HXD870, too.  I do not remember the actual date that the newly found channel notice appeared but it was in the past week, I believe.  The DVD recorder showed "D---" in its display following the addition.  I recorded such an occurrence last year when I noted that, although found, one had to 

go to System Menu>Initial Setup>Digital Tuner>Replace Channels for the update to take effect and for the display to return to normal.  "D---" keeps reappearing this time, however.  I have unplugged and plugged in again the device, but that had no effect when I switched on this morning.  I am trying the power off switch on the device at the moment and wait to see whether this has any effect.

I have an issue with my Bravia TV and BBC iPlayer, too, regarding "Internet download failed because content size exceeds system memory limit", about which I haved posted as a new topic in "Other TVs".  This, too, has occurred in the very recent past, only.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

If you are having problems with your RDR-HX870, have you tried the potential solution posted by PRSCMS above?

@lithoartist - for your D--- issue, see:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/home-cinema-projectors-players/rdrhxd870-quot-d-quot-code-problem/td...

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
lithoartist

Quinnicus

I thank you for your reply.

I have tried the suggestion by PRSCMS.  It appeared to have worked, initially: "D001" appeared in the display upon restarting.  Having selected 'Title list", however, it does not occupy the complete width of the screen and, worse, selecting 'Guide' presents me with a Guide Plus panel, which is for analogue programmes, I believe.  I have switched off and on again and replaced channels with no different result.  Help!  I preferred where I was!

profile.country.GB.title
lithoartist

My problem with Guide Plus+ is solved, at least.  I telephoned Sony UK and between a very pleasant technical support technician and me, we discovered the problem:  Initial Setup/Basic/EPG Type Select showed "GUIDE Plus+" highlighted instead of "Guide (Digital)".  How that happened is anyone's guess.  The shape of 'TITLE LIST' remains an issue in not filling the screen.  I thought I had found the answer, perhaps, when selecting 16:9 as the format in Easy Setup but no, unfortunately. 

profile.country.GB.title
PRSCMS
Explorer

Well mine crashed again today with the dreaded D---.

It says another channel was added on screen. It seems every time another channel is changed/added it crashes and I have to reset as above.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I'm surprised to hear of these issues tbh... surprised not because you are having issues but because another major thread with a huge HXD870 fanbase has been silent.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-870-and-all-sony-hxd-and-some-pioneers-dvd-recorders-no-freevi...

In fact it looks as though I was still the last to post there back in early 2016. 

To anyone having odd/weird issues I  would recommend doing a channel scan with no aerial attached to clear all channel place holders and then follow that by a factory reset which will automatically launch the initial set up routine. Its only 10 minutes of a job from start to finish.