Join now - be part of our community!

Sony STR DN 1040 HDMI passthrough function not working

Chaudax
Explorer

Sony STR DN 1040 HDMI passthrough function not working

I bought a STR DN1040 AV receiver on 29/12 and the HDMI pass through function is not working. I have control for HDMI set to ON and pass through Auto. There is no ON option only Off or auto! When I switch the receiver off the picture and sound from the TV comes through but after 20 secs there is a clicking noise from the receiver and the screen goes blank and also no sound. I called Sony and reset the receiver but still the same problem. I called back Sony and they said return the amp and get a new one. I did this but I still have exactly the same problem with the new receiver. I have checked and even changed the HDMI cables and changed the TV but the problem is still there. I have the latest firmware after an update. I am now seriously thinking of returning the amp and getting my money back. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?. Thanks
128 REPLIES 128
nikkakog

Hi,

What other hdmi devices have you connected to the amp?

Something like this happened to mine Str-Dh820 as well when i had my pc connected ,the hdmi passhrough didnt work ,taken the pc hdmi cable out worked fine,so check that your devices are compatible with this function

Chaudax
Explorer

Hi thanks for the response. I have my PS3 and sky box connected to the amp via HDMI. The TV is connected to HDMI ARC on the amp. I tried with PS3 connection removed and same problem. I also tried changing the cables - same problem. With only the PS3 connected I also see the same problem. When you say check that my devices are compatible what do you mean? Thanks.
nikkakog

In my case my pc hdmi cable blocked the hdmi passthrough function ,so before you switch off the amp you choose the source (ps3 or sky) and then you can listen from tv the chosen source ,is that correct ?

Chaudax
Explorer

Hi yes this correct. I choose the source and the sound is coming through the amp. I switch the amp off. The sound and picture comes through the TV for about 20 secs. as normal but then then there is a clicking noise from the amp and the picture and sound goes off. I have the passthrough set to auto there is only a off or auto option. No ON option.
nikkakog

Lets see your tv settings ,

Chaudax
Explorer

I have my hdmi setting input 3 set to enable, video = auto, audio = digital
nikkakog

What model yoy have ,usually sony tv's have the arc in hdmi1 ,try this

Audio>hdmi only

Chaudax
Explorer

I have quite a old TV pioneer plasma PDP 436PE ABOUT 8 years old but in perfect working condition. It does not have ARC connection. So I have connected a optical cable to the amp for the audio. This is according to the SONY set up guide. I also tried another TV not with ARC but that didn't work either. I called the shop where I bought the amp from they said its my cables or setup. Ironically I told them the cables were brand new and bought from them. Anyway they said they could have a look and see if they could reproduce the problems.
nikkakog

I see ,where video=auto, has an hdmi option ?

Good luck ,let them sort it for you