Join now - be part of our community!

Sony STR-DN1050 screen/sound keeps dropping

janusian
Explorer

Sony STR-DN1050 screen/sound keeps dropping

I have a Sony STR-DN1050. It is wired into a projector and fed from Sky Box, Xbox, Amazon Fire stick and Chromecast. 

Not long after I got it and set it up we started to experience a periodic 'drop out' of both sound and picture. The projector would come up saying searching for a signal then 2-3 seconds later it would all come back on. As the sound is going as well I have discounted a projector issue. Likewise it is the same for Sky and Xbox so again not the source.

I emailled the retailer and they thought it was an issue with the receiver and quickly replaced it. However the new one is doing exactly the same. I am at a loss.

Some thoughts/info

• The room is an extension which is on a limited ring main with one other room none of which include high draw electrics
  • The amp is next to the subwoofer, but the volume is not excessive
  • The amp is next to the router
  • It is on an Atacama Eris stand so vented on 4 sides.
  • Speakers are Focal Dome 5.1
  • The issue was getting worse with the old amp. It is less frequent with the new one but about the level the original one was when new.

Any thoughts/ideas appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@janusian

It's a stab in the dark but have you checked your cables for tightness? I've read similar stories on other forums and simply changing the HDMI cable for a different one cured the problem.

I don't know if you're using the same cables as with your previous amp (many people do) but if so it's possible one of the cables is bad. Perhaps if loose the subwoofer vibration is enough to trigger intermittent loss of signal.

Interestingly I've had the same problem with my own HDMI cables and one of mine had worked loose during cleaning behind the receiver.

I gave this same advice to another member a while back but he was adamant that cables were not a problem however as a last resort he replaced them and the problem was fixed.

EDIT:

Another thought came to mind, you say this happens with all connected devices when used with your projector? As your projector is the last device in the chain I would suspect a faulty lead/connection between the Receiver OUT and the Projector INPUT. What type of connection are you using with your receiver to projector, is it HDMI? If HDMI are you using the latest 'High Speed' HDMI lead, sometimes referred to as v.1.3?

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14