Join now - be part of our community!

Sony STR-DN860 - No 3D via HDMI?

SOLVED
Rikachu
Explorer

Sony STR-DN860 - No 3D via HDMI?

Hi everyone!

Been a long time reader, but this is my first post.

Hopefully someone can assist?

I have my PC connected via HDMI into the amp, but when I try and view 3D content (side-by-side or over-under) the TV doesn't let me turn the 3D display on as it's greyed out.

However, connecting the PC directly into the TV will let me toggle the option.

Am I missing something? Does the feature need to be turned on somewhere in amp settings?

AMP: STR-DN860

TV: Bravia x8507c

Would like to know what my options are to be able to watch 3D with true HD surround etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Tags (6)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rikachu
Explorer

Hi everyone.

Just a quick update. Problem solved!

The amp was automatically up scaling HDMI sources to 4K, turning this option off remedied this and I am now able to toggle 3D when watching videos through Kodi.

Thanks for everyone's input!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Pumpkin_Duke

Hi,

Guess the STR cannot handle 3D signal pass through.

Cheers
PD
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi According to the specs, this can handle 3d. http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/av-receivers/str-dn860/specifications I would check if you are using the right HDMI cable, ensure its a high speed one (ie, version 1.4) Cheers
profile.country.GB.title
Darbo25

Bought this amp Sunday and just checked for you,  it plays all 3d content through my ps3 just fine,  blu ray,  side by side and over under,  would probably check you're not using an old hdmi cable that doesn't have the bandwidth. 

Rikachu
Explorer

So I tried my PS4 in it, and it displays 3D fine.

I did a bit of googling and found that if the TV displays 1080p in the top-left, 3D will be available for selection.

Low and behold, 1080p was displayed in top left when PC connected directly to TV.

When PC is connected via DN860... no 1080p displayed in top left when switching channel.

Does anyone have any suggestions or settings I could try please?

(PC is a Gigabyte Brix currently set to 1920x1080 @ 60p. with Intel HD 4400 GFX)

Rikachu
Explorer

Hi everyone.

Just a quick update. Problem solved!

The amp was automatically up scaling HDMI sources to 4K, turning this option off remedied this and I am now able to toggle 3D when watching videos through Kodi.

Thanks for everyone's input!