Join now - be part of our community!

Sony SVR-HDT500 HDD recorder & RMT-D259 remote problem

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
HogunDrwg
Explorer

Sony SVR-HDT500 HDD recorder & RMT-D259 remote problem

Good Evening all, first time poster so please be gentle!

I have an SVR-HDT500 HDD recorder which has worked fine since i bought it 18months ago(ish!)

For the last few days the unit has been slow to respond to the remote. This evening it flatly refused to be turned on. My first thought was batteries, which i changed for new one's with no joy.

The remote will turn on the television (Bravia KDL-32W5810) but not the HDD recorder. In addition, the recorder will turn on with the button on the front, but there are no other controls to operate it.

I have tried using the reset button on the front of the recorder and it will reboot, but the fault remains. I have also cleaned the remote sensor and gone through the troubleshooting directions contained in the user manual with no joy.

Any advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated before i go hunting for reciepts.

Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HogunDrwg
Explorer

Quick update......

Had a call from my local service centre, all sorted.

Problem was dry joints on the remote signal reciever. Presumably a bit of fresh soldering has rectified the problem. £48 was the damage for investigation and repair, £101 less than the best price for a like for like replacement. Only bad point is i wasn't able to collect it in time to record Wales beating Italy yesterday! :slight_smile:

Thanks to Correct Service of Nottingham for the repair, and to Quinnicus for his best efforts to advise. It was much appreciated.

Best regards to all,

HogunDrwg.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello there

Just so you know, everyone is friendly on this forum. So welcome :slight_smile:

Right, lets have a go at your problem...

1 - Try unplugging your units power cord from the wall and leave it for a couple of minutes, and plug it back in again.

2 - Ensure that your firmware is updated to 4.21r8585 (link below)

3 - Ensure that there is no black tape covering any of the sensors (a trick was once played on me, it took me 3 days to figure it out!)

4 - Ensure that the correct code has been set on the remote control and not accidently reconfigured(see page 44 of the manual)

5 - Perform a factory reset on the unit itself

6 - If you have a Sony Shop near you, you could always go in there, and see if they have a unit in the store, and test your remote control (just a thought) or find an alternative way to test another remote control on your unit.

7 - Contact an authorised sony repaire centre, follow the support links via this site.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVR-HDT500/downloads/svr_8585

Hope that helps you in any way.

Cheers.

HogunDrwg
Explorer

Thanks for the warm welcome! :slight_smile:

I've tried your first suggestion, even left it unplugged overnight but no joy. There is no tape over any sensors and they are clean. Factory reset button the front of unit has been tried a couple of times with no joy.

With regards to the remote code, as the TV and HDD are both Sony the default code should be correct according to the manual, but i have tried to enter "01" for Sony by holding down the TV on/off button while doing this. Nothing happens except the TV turns on or off. Not sure if anything is supposed to flash up on screen or anything?

As regards the update, i've got as far as getting it on my USB stick, but unfortunately as the remote isn't working for any of the HDD functions, i can't get into the system menu to continue the update procedure. Is there a way round this?

It's a great pity this unit doesn't have a few function controls on the front or side, instead of having to rely on your remote staying tuned.

Many thanks again for the welcome and swift reply.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Somehow, you need to figure out if its the unit or the remote control. You best bet may be to log a support request from Sony (or contact a sony repaire centre). Follow the procedures on this website. Alternatively, Amazon are selling that remote control for approx £30.

And yes, I did forget that to do a proper factory reset (as well as a firmware update) you need to use a remote to go through the menus.

Sorry buddy, but thats the best I can say.

HogunDrwg
Explorer

Thanks for trying. It's much appreciated.

I've had a chat with the local Sony repair centre and they seem to think it could be the reciever on the front of the unit. It's £30 for them having a look, but depending how much a repair will cost, i may just replace it. My local Littlewoods clearance has 3 in at a reasonable price

HogunDrwg
Explorer

Quick update......

Had a call from my local service centre, all sorted.

Problem was dry joints on the remote signal reciever. Presumably a bit of fresh soldering has rectified the problem. £48 was the damage for investigation and repair, £101 less than the best price for a like for like replacement. Only bad point is i wasn't able to collect it in time to record Wales beating Italy yesterday! :slight_smile:

Thanks to Correct Service of Nottingham for the repair, and to Quinnicus for his best efforts to advise. It was much appreciated.

Best regards to all,

HogunDrwg.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the update, its useful to know what the actual problem is. Im glad its fixed for you.

15spice
New

profile.country.GB.title
geofftuke
Explorer

Hi

Had this problem and solved it by getting a new remote - worked perfectly for some time but has started to fail again.

I overcome the problem by aiming the remote a bit off centre. It's no fun, but does give a result.

I'm going to get another remote, but this time, instead of throwing the old one out, i'm going to strip it and try and find what causes this problem. If it's only dirt, then I can fix. If it is actually electronic, then I'll bin it

Hope this helps