Join now - be part of our community!

Sony UBP-X700 - playing 4k HDR discs sometimes reports output at 1080p

profile.country.GB.title
nosirrahs
New

Sony UBP-X700 - playing 4k HDR discs sometimes reports output at 1080p

Hi all

I just bought the X700 and half the time I play a 4K HDR disc and press DISPLAY it reports "4K/24p HDR", but the other half of the time it'll report "1080p HDR". It flips between the two even on the same disc! I presume that 1080p mean it's outputting at HD resolution (which I guess my TV is up-rezing to 4k). I haven't found a pattern to this behaviour, if I get 1080p I basically have to switch discs and turn the player on/off a few times until it starts playing at 4k.

Here's my kit:

4K TV: LG OLED55B9PLA 

Sound bar LG SL8YG

X700 with latest firmware and Dolby Vision is switched off (as I don't have any DV discs).

The 4K discs I'm trying are The Martian, Blade Runner and Alien.

The player is connected to my soundbar's HDMI in, and the soundbar is connected via ARC to the TV. Both HDMI cables are new and certified for the fastest speeds and 4K.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Simon

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @nosirrahs,

the resolution changing DURING a movie sounds quite impossible to me (at least switching from 2160p to 1080p).

Is it possible that the TV displays an incorrect input resolution sometimes? Maybe it is a bug with your LG TV.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
nosirrahs
New

Hi there

It doesn't switch mid-movie, only after swapping to another 4k disc.

It's the Sony not the TV which is displaying 1080p - by pressing Display on the remote.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
nosirrahs
New

So just now I switched off up-scaling in the bluray player and did a test. I played Alien 4K HDR, and the TV reported 2160p HDR. I then played Blade Runner 4K HDR, and the TV reported 2160p HDR. Then I played The Martian 4K HDR, and the TV reported 1080p and HDR. I then ejected the disc and switched off the player, and then turned it back on, and put the same Martian disc back in, and it played in 4K HDR! What the heck?

Faulty player??

Trouble reading the disc? (probably not, as it's done similar for the other 4K discs too)