Join now - be part of our community!

Sony UBP-X800 ultra HD 4k blu ray player problem playing 4K movies

profile.country.GB.title
Loganlea2000
Explorer

Sony UBP-X800 ultra HD 4k blu ray player problem playing 4K movies

Good evening

Recently purchased a new Sony 65" 4k TV, and i have added the Sony UBP-X800 ultra HD 4k blu ray player.

I have purchased 4 x 4k  Ultra HD blu ray movies

I have played/watched with no problems 2 out of the 4.

Both Planet earth 2 & (spiderman home coming "this came free with the player') played ..with no problems.

I also purched The martian 4k ultra HD & Close encounters 4k Ultra HD

Had problems playing both these movies.

The Martian, stuttered for about 5min in the middle of the film, but then came good.

On Close encounters, about 1hr into the movie, it just stopped dead )frozen.

This resulted in the blu ray player freezing then restarting on its own.

Having  googled  this problem/issue, it would appear this player seems to have this problem quite a bit.

Has anyone had the same issues that could offer any help ?

It has been updated to the latest software, and i  selected the default settings when setting up, as this seems the most apropriate, The new 4k HDMI cable is also set to enhanced to allow the 4k.

I didnt expect to have these issues with the cost of this player.

I have only had it less than a week (purchased from John Lewis)

Could this be a fault, and should i be looking at returning, or is this something sony is aware of which will be fixed with a firmware update ?

Best Regards

Tom

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi Tom,  

Have at look at this page regarding the DSEE-HX function on your UBP-X800 ultra HD 4k blu ray player. It's possible that you need to turn the DSEE-HX setting to OFF. Let us know how you get on. 

Thanks,

Pascale_F

profile.country.GB.title
Loganlea2000
Explorer

Thanks for your reply.

This function was already set to off when i checked tonight, so this cant be the culprit.

regards

Tom

profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi Tom, 

It's best to contact Sony Support about this here, to see what they suggest.

Thanks,

Pascale_F 

profile.country.GB.title
Loganlea2000
Explorer

Thanks

I have submitted the question to sony suppport

I am having the same major problems. have just sent this to Sony: 

My new SONY UBP-X800 4K player seems to be incapable of playing all 4k films.

First Wonder Woman film “stuttered” and “paused” half way during the film. (I didn’t keep the receipt so I lost my money on this)

Later I then I spent £25 on Blade Runner 2045 only for the same to  happen again. I applied a firmware update on 14/7/18 (M36.R.0238)  and this seems to be working but I am not convinced.

Then yesterday I purchased “Ready Player One” for £25 and had family around and the film stopped/stuttered again about 1 hr 58 mins in !

I wasn’t expecting such poor performance when spending lots of money on a new Sony product. I expect it to work faultlessly and not worry the film might stop and ruin it for all.

Blu Rays work fine and it isn’t the disks. They were purchased new, no scratches, nothing.

Please instruct me whether there is a “remedy” for this or whether I need to return the player and a get a different one.  Player is connected by Wi-Fi. Firmware version as above at the time of this message.  

profile.country.GB.title
Finman2

Ditto to all.  One disc caused the machine to lock up.  Had to power off and on to be able to eject the disc. Other discs play ok for a while then stutter on and off.  V disappointed in Sony producing this LEMON.  John Lewis will take it back, no worries.  It is the back breaking task of undoing then redoing the cables.  Aaaaaaaaaghghgh.

profile.country.GB.title
Finman2

My replacement works as it should.  Some are lemons.  Exchange them.

profile.country.AU.title
boatsbeatwork
Explorer

same,I cannot play Blade Runner 2049 or Brightburn both 4KUHD HDR discs .

Player has the latest update which may be part of the problem as it did play Bladerunner 2049 before update.

Sony are very poor at responding to these issues ,I purchase 2 OLED Tvs and 2 of these players and they both have the same issues

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @boatsbeatwork  and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

Have you tried phoning Support about this?

(You can email them but I always recommend phoning.)

Support contact details here