Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VPL HW 40ES Projector mainboard malfunction?

profile.country.GB.title
blastu
New

Sony VPL HW 40ES Projector mainboard malfunction?

Hello,

I bought this unit just over 3 years ago, and I've only run it for 800 hrs. Initially very pleased, but after I while I noticed the picture flashing a few times, this eventually getting worse until the unit stopped recognising any of the HDMI inputs, and not producing any picture at all. No input selection option either, though the VGA input seems to work. 

Spoke to Sony in Bridgend, appears that the QA board is almost certainly defective, or this also known as the main board? I don't know, except Sony are quoting around £1400-£1500 to repair it. Thats about what I paid for it, and I'm assuming a similar board is used on the replacement for this model, the VPL HW 45 ES? 

Pretty gutted as it was a huge purchase, just wondered if anyone experienced anything similar and was able to find a cheaper work around? Seems a shame to have to scrap the unit which otherwise is in perfect condition. Also seems a shame that the unit relies on such an expensive piece of kit, and the inputs can't be handled separately from a repair perspective, or that the board can't be repaired. Would certainly put me off buying similar from Sony! 

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi blastu,

Welcome to the community.

I'll see if I can track down an answer. Maybe someone else in the community has an idea in the meantime.

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi blastu,

I understand how you feel. To be honest, I've not had a similar issue before. But I'd recommend that you repair the projector by Sony engineers to ensure that the parts are 100% genuine and compatible with your model.

Best wishes,

Vanilla_