Join now - be part of our community!

SONY, why no 5GHz Wi-Fi on Flagship BDP-S780?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
dreddric
Visitor

SONY, why no 5GHz Wi-Fi on Flagship BDP-S780?

Question to SONY staff in particular:

As the title suggests, can you explain why SONY decided not a add a 5GHz Wi-Fi capable wireless card in the BDP-S580 and the flagship model BDP-S780 please?

If you say to save a few pennies on manufacture, I won't be impressed! :angry:

My current BDP-S570 has 5GHz Wi-Fi 'n' connectivity, I am deeply disappointed as I was (not now) going to upgrade to the BDP-S780.

I also thought the point of having a flagship model, was that it had everything over the lower models.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi
Interesting explanation here about the differences over the two and why 2.4 is better for use in the home.
Inevitably cost considerations come into the equation at some point and reading through the article, it makes a pretty logical case for simply offering one flavour. Not sure you would notice any real world benefits in actually having 5GHz as the Sony 2.4GHz solution is actually pretty good and has worked flawlessly in all the demo machines I have set up.
Thanks

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi
Interesting explanation here about the differences over the two and why 2.4 is better for use in the home.
Inevitably cost considerations come into the equation at some point and reading through the article, it makes a pretty logical case for simply offering one flavour. Not sure you would notice any real world benefits in actually having 5GHz as the Sony 2.4GHz solution is actually pretty good and has worked flawlessly in all the demo machines I have set up.
Thanks