Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DH820 Multi channel from PC

profile.country.GB.title
Darkboots
New

STR-DH820 Multi channel from PC

Hi there,

This is my first message, I specifically joined this today as I am desperate for a solution and the Sony helplines aren't open on a Saturday. At least if no one can help me there on Monday I have this as a possible back up, or even for future help..so I joined :smileyhappy:.

I have 2 issues I would love to get resolved...particularly the first issue...

Ok first of all, I just upgraded my STR-DH800 reciever. which I got around the time I bought my new PC..ever since I have had problems getting the HDMI to output multi channel audio from my PC...at the time I thought it was a problem with my PC..for example when I went into "properties" where it shown my reciever on the "sound settings", it said "supported formats"....and there it listed "DTS and dobly digital 5.1" and sure enough I got those sound formats. Although I was hoping for HD master audio etc.

I thought the reason why it was not listing HD audio was because of the PC. But now I bought this DH820 reviever...I am now realizing it is not the PC as I taken the cable straight from my DH800 and plugged the very same cable directly into the DH820, yet now it doesn't even list "DTS and Dolby digital" like it did when it was connected tot he DH800.

I got my STR-DH820 delivered only yesterday and set it up...and wow...what an upgrade for such a low price..first thing I connected was my Playstaition 3...and yes it sounds tremendous. But then I noticed when I played a blu ray on my PC it was now only playing stereo through my HDMI cable...and now when I go into "Sound settings"...then "properties", "suported formats", it does not even list any digital sound formats or multi channel sound formats..all I have is stereo from DVD or Blu ray.

As nothing else has been changed I only plugged the same cable into the new reciever, has made me realize the problem is not with my PC because I am even using the same brand of receiver, yet the available sound formats change on my PC using different recievers. I am totally baffled by this?

I am now wondering if there is some sort of setting on this new reciever where I can enable HD audio on the PC connection? It is wierd as my Playstaion 3 plays the HD audio no problem to this new reciever, yet my PC I have tried in all 4 HDMI inputs and I can't get anything any better than stereo on a Blu ray (which is utter rubbish).

My previous Sony receiver (STRDH800) at least given me DTS and dolby digital on blu rays and standard DVD's from my PC. This is very frustrating as now I think my receiver sounds a lot better and has some great features like USB for an Ipod, yet I am losing my DTS and Dolby digital sound when I play DVD's or blu rays from my PC and only getting stereo sound (boring 2 channel sound)...yet I am using the very same cables I used on my STR.DH800.I can't seem to see any solution unless somone else knows an answer? I would be very thankful and grateful if anyone did.

Another wee question, I noticed on the instruction manual that you can input composite cables and it automatically converts the picture quality and plays through it the HDMI socket..I thought this was great and couldn't wait to test the it. So I plugged in my old nintendo 64 which I still love and sure enough it worked...and has never looked so good. I even have an amazing range of sound modifications on this new reveiver for the games but unfortunately the screen format is stuck to widescreen format, probably becuase it is through an HDMI socket...which has grosssly improved the picture quality but becuase it is stuck on "widescreen" for this means the ratio of the games are wrong and can not be altered. Which is such a shame as they look so smooth and clear. At least I am thinking there is no way to alter the screen ratio through the composite connetion at the front but maybe there is? I know there is no way I can alter it from the Nintendo or games.

I was going to try my laserdisc player through this connection too because I think it will look great but when I realized the ratio problem through this connection, I did not bother myself. As the same thing would obviosuly happen with that...yes I am annoyed as it is a great feature but there isno way I Can alter the screen format....at least it looks that way?

Any help on these 2 problems would be greatly appreciated.

Message was edited by: Darkboots

0 REPLIES 0