profile.country.GB.title
bridavis
Explorer

STR-DH90 Analog Inputs

Concerning the 

Sony STR-DH790

I have a CD deck conected to analoge audio in SA-CD/CD IN,
The tv is connected via eARC HDMI & shows as TV on the amp
How can I now connect a analog tape deck as the amp does not have the relevent input for this after reading the manual which states:

To listen to the sounds from a device connected to the AUDIO IN jacks, do not connect any device to the
HDMI IN, COAXIAL IN, and OPTICAL IN jacks, which are labeled with the same device name (such as
BD/DVD, SAT/CATV, SA-CD/CD, and TV).

I am at a loss

Any advice would be very much appreciated. (dummy fashion please)

Brian.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

"You can connect devices other than those indicated above to the AUDIO IN jacks."
profile.country.GB.title
bridavis
Explorer

Hi Thanks for your reply,

That is exactly as I thought, but if I choose to use the tv in Audio jack, when I select TV on the input selector I get audio from the TV.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@bridavis 

What it means, in effect, is that if you have something connected to one of the digital inputs (four HDMI inputs, one coaxial, one optical) then you can’t have anything connected to the analogue audio input bearing the same name. (Or vice versa, which is how Sony are describing it).

So using the AUDIO SA-CD/CD IN means you can’t use the COAXIAL socket with the same name.

And having the HDMI BD/DVD IN in use would mean you can’t use the AUDIO BD/DVD IN, and likewise for the SAT/CATV HDMI and AUDIO pair, and the OPTICAL being used for TV would mean that you couldn’t use the AUDIO TV IN.

But the AUDIO inputs are in fact completely interchangeable. So pick an AUDIO input you would like to use for the tape deck, one where the corresponding digital input isn’t in use, and you will be fine.

As you’ve probably found, there’s nowhere on the amp where you could get audio out to record on the tape deck, but I guess you won’t be needing that?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
bridavis
Explorer

Thanks for that, it looks like I'm out of luck,

SA-CD/CD in is in use (CD deck)
BD/DVD in is in use (Blu Ray player)
SAT/CATV in is in use ( Freeview Box)
TV in is in use (eARC HDMI)

All are full, any ideas?

Didn't have these issues with my old AV amp the Sony STR-DH810, analog ins & outs galore.

Brian.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@bridavis 

The ARC/eARC HDMI is labelled TV OUT, not TV IN.

So I figure that the AUDIO TV IN should still be available to you for the tape deck -try it.

Failing that, why not plug the Freeview box into the TV, and let eARC handle the audio transfer to the receiver? Unless that box can put out audio that the receiver can handle but the TV can’t, you aren’t going to lose anything that way. And you will always want the TV On when using the Freeview box, so there will be no more, and no different, audio switching to be done here.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
bridavis
Explorer

will do, thank you