Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN1040 & file access via the network

SOLVED
theORBscureDDJ
Explorer

STR-DN1040 & file access via the network

I'm pulling my hair out with this one guys... can somebody please explain to me why when accessing my HD via the home network using its menu interface, although I can see the file tree and access the various .mp3, FLAC files, nothing happens when I select any of them. I've set the auto permission to auto access but the various files appear in the menu with a ? against them. Also, when I try and access the unit using the Sony AudioRemote iPhone app to access the same files, it simply says "cannot play music"... any help appreciated!!!!

Many thanks in advance,
Pete

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
theORBscureDDJ
Explorer

As way of an update... it did indeed turn out that the LinkStation was the weak link. After updating the drives firmware, I was finally able to see the amp in its DNLA list... however, this proved only to be a brief breakthrough as when trying to access the drive via the amps GUI only 3 of the 21 directories were visible... :angry:

Anyway, I've subsequently been out and purchased a WD 2tb MyCloud storage device and am over the moon to confirm that after transfer of the same directory structure and files, full navigation and playing of the files is achievable... :slight_smile:

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The first thing to do, is ensure that you have the latest firmware installed.  See HERE for more details.

It should be the case of going to your DLNA server, drilling down the folders to find the track/s that you want, and pressing OK to play the track.

Cheers

theORBscureDDJ
Explorer

:slight_smile: Many thanks for the feedback... I have already updated the firmware and can confirm that the latest is indeed installed. I can also navigate onto my network HD right down to track level, but all then appear with a ? against them and cannot play...

Cheers

Pete

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

If you copy a few mp3/flac files to a USB drive (and plug it into the DN1040), are you able to play them? If so, this may be the setup of your NAS/DLNA Server.

What software/hardware are you using as a DLNA server?

Cheers

theORBscureDDJ
Explorer

Thanks again, really appreciate you taking time out to help... I did what you suggested and flac files play directly off a usb without any problem. I've also directly hard wired my Buffalo LinkStation to the STR-DN1040 and cannot access it. So it does indeed appear to be a problem with the external HD or a setting that needs changing... so if anybody has any suggestions, please fire away :wink: 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats ok.  What Software are you using for you DLNA Media Server on the Linkstation?  Its own inbuilt server, or Twonky or Plex? What version?  Also what model?  Just asking these questions, because when im bored, ill have a look into it.

Also, am I assuming that you can play these files from the Linkstation to you laptop/pc fine and that its only playing via the AV Receiver?  Are you able to access and play the files to your phone?

Have you checked your folder/file permissions?

theORBscureDDJ
Explorer

Thanks again...

If I want to access the LinkStation LS-CH1 settings, I use NAS Navigator 2 (V2.56). I also have partitions of the drive mapped as X: Y: & Z: on my Win7 desktop PC...

I've been successfully using this drive for a few years now and its currently directly attached to my Netgear WNR2000 router. I can access the music files using my Sonos wireless network, via the Win7 desktop PC and also using a Mini Mac which is attached to the same link as the AV Receiver...

As for folder/file permission... I'm not too sure... you'll need to point me in the right direction to check :slight_smile: 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

In NAS Navigator, have you Enabled DLNA Media Server?  You will also need to authorise DLNA clients, of which it should auto-detect which ones are on your network (ie STR-DN1040 - I hope)

I cant tell you the exact configuration settings, as I dont have the Linkstation, and cannot see the pictures in the manual, so you may need to go through the settings - See pages 42 and 43 of the manual : HERE

Cheers

EDIT: Also see this : http://np.faq.buffalo-global.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15108/p/31,33

theORBscureDDJ
Explorer

Great stuff, we appear to be getting somewhere... however nothing appears in the "DLNA client that permits access"  section of the Media Server tab of the LinkStation...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahhh-HA !  I believe we are on the right track.  But unfortuantely this is where I have to bail-out and jump ship as such, I just simply do not know how to configure it manually (if its at all possible) or why its not detected a DLNA client.  Is there a way you can manually input one via an IP address? 

Your best bet is to contact Buffalo support in regards to this.

Good luck with everything.