Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN1050 and music center

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
JasonPJI

STR-DN1050 and music center

Sony have disabled the ability to operate the STR-DN1050 using the music center app. 

I purchased the STR-DN1050 following cancer surgery (which has left me paralyzed from the waist down). I purchased it as it was advertised as being a multi-zone receiver that could be controlled from any room in my home. 
I use the DN1050 to play music when I am in bed (one of the few things I can enjoy now). The bedroom is zone 2. The receiver is installed in another room (zone 1).

When lying in bed (in zone 2) I used to use the app to enable zone 2 power, to control the device, and to select and play songs. I cannot do that without the app. The supplied remote is useless as it does not work in zone 2 (and it also needs a connected tv to make navigating the menus possible). 

I am unable to move without assistance, so I am unable to walk back to zone 1 every time I want to turn the device on, play a song, or skip a track.

The unit is also installed within a unit in zone 1 to keep all the cable out the way for safety reasons. Therefore the IR remote will not work in zone 1 either (another reason why I selected this product with its app control).

The STR-DN1050 is completely useless to me without the app. The device was advertised and sold as bieng possible to operate from any room using the app. That is the only reason I purchased this particular device.

Please can you tell me when the music center app will be fixed.
27 REPLIES 27
profile.country.GB.title
JasonPJI

Do sony actually care about their customers?

Do they ever actually fix issues?

Are they happiest when ripping their customers off?

profile.country.GB.title
JasonPJI

Sony have disabled the ability to operate the STR-DN1050 using the SongPal app. 

I purchased the STR-DN1050 following cancer surgery (which has left me paralyzed from the waist down). I purchased it as it was advertised as being a multi-zone receiver that could be controlled from any room in my home. 
I use the DN1050 to play music when I am in bed (one of the few things I can enjoy now). The bedroom is zone 2. The receiver is installed in another room (zone 1).

When lying in bed (in zone 2) I used to use the app to enable zone 2 power, to control the device, and to select and play songs. I cannot do that without the app. The supplied remote is useless as it does not work in zone 2 (and it also needs a connected tv to make navigating the menus possible). 

I am unable to move without assistance, so I am unable to walk back to zone 1 every time I want to turn the device on, play a song, or skip a track.

The unit is also installed within a unit in zone 1 to keep all the cable out the way for safety reasons. Therefore the IR remote will not work in zone 1 either (another reason why I selected this product with its app control).

The STR-DN1050 is completely useless to me without the app. The device was advertised and sold as being possible to operate from any room using the app. That is the only reason I purchased this particular device.

Please can you tell me when the SongPal app will be fixed.
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @JasonPJI,

I merged all the four topics you created into one post, to avoid confusion of everyone who is trying to help you.

This community is a place where customers help other customers and because of that I kindly ask you to keep the tone low, since it is highly unlikely, that the person at Sony which changed/removed the function you desperately need will read your criticism here.

I will make sure to forward your case to support in order to try to receive a possible solution.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
JasonPJI

Thanks for deleting my posts. I am aware that fellow users are not able to help resolve this issue, as it is something only sony can fix. 

I made several posts about it to increase the likelyhood that sombody from sony would see it. The posts were relevant in the home cinema thread (as this is a home cinema system) and were also relevant in the HiFi thread as this product is also used as a HiFi.

I have been well and truly done over by sony. I purchased this product expressly because of its ability to be controlled from any room in the house (as cancer has rendered me immobile). Now that sony have had my money, they have disabled the key selling point of this unit, and I can no longer operate my device. It is now useless to me. 

Sony have conned me out of my money and do not care! 

Selling an item based on a set of features and then removing those features is tantamount to fraud. I really dont know how sony can get away with this!

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @JasonPJI,

@JasonPJI  schrieb:

Thanks for deleting my posts.

I didn't delete anything - I combined all your posts into this single one to not divide up the discussion!

@JasonPJI  schrieb:

I made several posts about it to increase the likelyhood that sombody from sony would see it. 

That is not how a community forum works...

My current workaround solution for you would be to purchase two amazon echo dot devices together with two smart plugs and connect them to your receiver to play music from any room on them. It would set you back another 120 or so pounds, yet it would work.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
JasonPJI

Hi Nic,

I appreciate you are trying to help, but I have already spent £450 on a device that was advertised and sold as being suitable for my needs. After sony had my money, they deliberatly disabled its functionality rendering it useless to me. I should not have to spent another £120 to buy an amazon product as a workaround (and cannot afford to either).

Besides, the amazon 'workaround' does not restore the full functionality of the device.

Its just not good enough from sony. They have falsely advertised the product and stolen my money!

(reply worked this time!)

profile.country.GB.title
JasonPJI

Despite emailing sony every single day, they still will not resolve this issue. I just cannot understand how such a big company gets away with fraud.

profile.country.GB.title
JasonPJI

Can somebody please tell me why my posts keep getting deleted? Yesterday I posted some information relating to this issue, but it has been deleted without notification or explanation. Seems sony want to cover up some of the details of this issue.....

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @JasonPJI,

if posts were removed or don't show up, they may violated the community guidelines. :thinking:

You can find  the community guidelines here: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/community-guidelines/sony-community-guidelines/td-p/1167490

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
JasonPJI

My deleted posts did not break any forum rules. 

Censorship to hide the extent of this issue....

I am still emailing sony every single day. They are still ignoring every single email. They have conned me out of my money and now dont care.