Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN1080 and Songpal / Music Centre

profile.country.GB.title
dj777149
New

STR-DN1080 and Songpal / Music Centre

Hi everyone,

I aplogise if this has been brought up before. I've tried searching this forum and the internet beyond, but so far no joy. 

I recently bought a STR-DN1080 and overall I'm very happy with it. However I am having trouble connecting to it with the Music Centre app. It will connect fine using Bluetooth, and I used the app to set up the 1080's wifi connection to our network. This also worked ok.

Unfortunately now the app cannot find the 1080 on the wifi anymore, only via Bluetooth. I've also tried a generic "Audio Remote" app with the same problem, even though it worked ok before. Other apps work fine over wifi, for example I can "cast" using Tuned In or Chromecast with no problems. I suspect the problems may have started after the 1080 decided to update its software. 

Has anyone else experienced this, or can offer any advice?

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi Dj,

Thanks for joining the community.

I'll pass your query on to the team to see what we can find out for you.  Someone will update this thread when there is more information. 

Best wishes,

EdwinaU

profile.country.GB.title
dj777149
New

Thanks Edwina

profile.country.NL.title
Hdgdjejcnjs
New

Hello,

I have this receiver for 2 weeks. Only experience with latest firmware.

Same problem. It worked once after firmware update. Did a factory reset and worked once. And now again it is nog working... 

Please help

I've had my STR-DN1080 for a couple of months now and it's never worked properly with the Music Centre app. By default the app connects to the amp by bluetooth, which stops Spotify playing. If I turn bluetooth off Spotify plays but the app won't connect to the receiver which means that I can't control control zone 2 volume.

Bit rubbish really, wish I hadn't bought it now!

profile.country.GB.title
BollyDave

Are Sony getting ready to dump app support for this one, as they did with the STR-DN1050?

Just saying.

Stimmint
New

When are we going to find out about the connectivity issues with songpal I bought my DN 1080 for its connectivity

profile.country.GB.title
BollyDave

I wouldn't hold your breath.

I'd expect 1080 owners, if not already, will soon be joining the disillusioned ranks of 1050 owners.

I have tried every route available to get help or a solution to this problem and got precisely nowhere.

When I have actually managed direct dialogue with someone from Sony support, they have been evasive, lacking in knowledge and keen to blame mysterious 3rd party developers.

Apparently Sony hire these people to develop software (e.g. SongPal and its related products) but have no control over what they deliver.

That's quite a remarkable achievement of alienating customers, showing zero customer care and focus, and not having any control of 3rd party organisations, charged with delivering a product.

This is so bad it reminds of customer service derived from the 1970s :rage:

profile.country.SE.title
eskjon
Explorer

Hi,

Same issue (still or again...).

It worked alright untill one week or so ago.

The only way to get it going again is to disconnect and re-connect the power cord.

After that it works for a short while before losing connection to app again. All other network functionality remains unaffected, i.e. casting, streaming, checking for new firmware etc.

profile.country.GB.title
BollyDave

Sorry to hear of your woes eskjon, but I've now reached the conclusion that Sony products are to be avoided at all costs.

This seems to be a company that is happy to change functional spec by changing software and firmware with little to no consideration for existing users. As I've discovered they also seem happy to let 3rd party developers do this with no real supervision, allowing their changes to impact the user experience too. Nobody seems to take cases on their own shoulders through to successful conclusion, and indeed my own experience has been one where I perceive they slopey shoulder responsibilities.

My thoughts have been cleared further by my subsequent experience with a Sony Blu Ray player, single worst piece of crap I've ever owned, and as a youngster in the 70s I bought Amstrad hi-fi, so that's saying something.

Just for fun, here's what it does, or doesn't do, depending what mood it is in...
-Fails to switch on from the remote, or power button on the unit itself, display totally dead, needs unplugging
-Randomly locks when in use
-And the best one, as it took me ages to find it....even when in standby, it is able to totally screw my home network. I have no idea what it is doing but it is clearly capable of spewing something onto my LAN that totally confuses it. And yes I have assigned IP addresses so it isn't a conflict. Symptoms I get are other devices playing up, most noticeably my NAS streaming, where devices that manage it suddenly can't see the NAS. Solution is to unplug the mains from the Sony Blu Ray player, then the network stabilises. Must take a special effort to make your hardware disrupt other stuff, even when it's powered off. When I queried this the stock answer was to take it into a branch. Really? Cos they all have workshops and knowledgeable technical folks...as if.

NEVER buying Sony again. Utter garbage.