Join now - be part of our community!

STR DN1080 can’t use a proper FM aerial

profile.country.GB.title
simster99
Explorer

STR DN1080 can’t use a proper FM aerial

Maybe this is on the wrong board.
I’ve just got an STR DN-1080 to replace an earlier Sony receiver, the STD DG820. I want all the wireless facilities and decoding of the 1080 and I’ve read the great reviews.  I was hoping to more or less slot it in to the current 5.1 set up but I’ve found an issue. I listen to FM radio frequently and have a loft aerial. The FM here is weak. However the antenna connection on the 1080 is a tiny socket to which you’re supposed to connect a length of wire with a tiny plug. I want to connect my loft aerial with its 75 Ohm coax plug. How? It’s never been mentioned in any review. If I can’t do it then I think the spec has been misrepresented and it’s going back for a refund. 

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi,

Unfortunately the DN1080 doesn't come with an antenna socket.

However, you can connect the inner wire to the connector of the DN1080. Not ideal but should work.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
simster99
Explorer

Perhaps you would like to explain how I do the connection you recommend. Do you understand impedance matching?  If it doesn’t work then I’ve modified part of the product and presumably I can’t return it.  I cannot possibly be the only buyer of this receiver that has been around for 4 years or so that has asked this question. And I’m not sure a reply that says “it should work” is acceptable. 

profile.country.GB.title
simster99
Explorer

After searching elsewhere on this forum it’s clear that Sony receivers have had this useless fm antenna for some time. Fm aerials are directional and the rubbish piece of wire may not be able to be positioned for best reception.  I assume it’s the default for Japan and USA but Europe still definitely use 75 ohm coax sockets. Sony don’t care about region differences. Search eBay for JST-PH 2 for a plug that can be attached (soldering etc may be required) to coaxial cable.  

profile.country.en_GB.title
EUSupport_EN
Contributor

@simster99

Thank you for your feedback. We've passed it on to the proper channels for future consideration and product development.