Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN1080 changes sound field

SOLVED
profile.country.SE.title
ahlis1

STR-DN1080 changes sound field

Just bougt a 1080-amplifier a couple of days ago and set it up with "AFD" as sound field just as I always used on my old STR-DH550. But the 1080 keeps changing to "multi st" every time I change source, for instance changing between BD and set top box I need to go back and change sound field. This is extremly irritating, who wants multi st?

Maybe it's something I miss in the settings? Please help!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.SE.title
ahlis1

Solved! Should have searched this excellent community before I posted...

It turns out that I need to change the soundsetting on my Sony A1 tv from standard to cinema, so it was actually the tv that forced the amp to change sound field for some reason.

Well, hope this post will help others!

View solution in original post

wrld-ctzn
New

Hi,

I was also having this problem with my STR-DN1080 and new KD-55AF8, thanks a lot for leading me to the TV settings "Sound mode sync - The sound field of the specified audio system will switch automatically when the TV's sound mode changes", that I turned off. It can be found under Home > Settings > Sound. Now it seems like my receiver is properly using A.F.D. regardless of my TV:s Sound mode (which I believe has no effect on the audio for HDMI sources).

profile.country.US.title
hasbeen

UPDATE: With the  "Sound Mode Sync" feature enabled the display will show what ever the current program is encoded with. Today I was watching the new BATMAN and and the display first shows  a banner reading "DOLBY ATMOS-DOLBY DIGITAL +" and then the icon displays "ATMOS-DD+" I am going to leave "Sound Mode Sync" enabled for now.

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.SE.title
ahlis1

Solved! Should have searched this excellent community before I posted...

It turns out that I need to change the soundsetting on my Sony A1 tv from standard to cinema, so it was actually the tv that forced the amp to change sound field for some reason.

Well, hope this post will help others!

Anfield83
New

Brilliant. Thanks for posting the solution! I was having the same issue. Simple solution lol

Can you link me to the forum where you found the answer?  What sound setting on the Sony TV are you referring to?  What kind of Sony TV do you have?

profile.country.SE.title
ahlis1

Doesn't remember wich thread but it was on this forum, use the search function. TV = A1. Sound setting = cinema as already stated in my earlier post.

It's a bit anoying that the tv forces the amp's soundfield to a preset choice depending on the tv's setting, it should be optional.

profile.country.SE.title
RoGunner
Explorer

HI, im currently having the same issue, but with another setup, XE85 and STR-1070. If i change to Cinema on the TV the receiver gets prompt to play sound field HD D.C.S instead. Then multi st is better almost.. I need it to stick with "direct". Stereo when stereo and Dolby when Dolby and so on. 

Any ideas?

profile.country.SE.title
ahlis1

Sorry, there is no real solution to this problem what I know of, only compromises like the ones mentioned previously. I talked to Sony about this after searching the internet for solutions and it shows that this has been a problem for years, or not really a problem for Sony when it is them who choose to have it this way.

The only way to be 100% safe from the TV overriding the AMP is to not use the hdmi bravia sync, but then you loose other nice features sadly.

wrld-ctzn
New

Hi,

I was also having this problem with my STR-DN1080 and new KD-55AF8, thanks a lot for leading me to the TV settings "Sound mode sync - The sound field of the specified audio system will switch automatically when the TV's sound mode changes", that I turned off. It can be found under Home > Settings > Sound. Now it seems like my receiver is properly using A.F.D. regardless of my TV:s Sound mode (which I believe has no effect on the audio for HDMI sources).

profile.country.SE.title
ahlis1

This sounds promising! I didn´t even know about "Sound mode sync" in the Home > Settings > Sound. I always go to Action menu > sound and in that menu there are just some basic settings.

The menus are in fact a bit difficult to navigate on the newer Sony TVs.:thumbsdown:

However, it seems like disabling "sound mode sync" is the proper solution for the issue of sound fields changing in the AMP. Thanks a lot for discovering this!:ok_hand:

profile.country.GB.title
paumajor
Explorer

I have recently purchased a KD-43XG8196 and was having problems with my old DH800 so I’ve invested in a DN1080. All is ok except the system constantly resets itself to MULTI-ST when I want it in DOLBY SURR. I’ve followed the suggestions from others but it still occurs. 
Pease somebody help! It’s driving me insane to keep having to reset to DOLBY SURR each time I use the TV.

thanks in advance, Paul